Best lighting?

1. Fwfish182 Initiate Member

Anyone know the best bulbs to have for rainbows? I just can't seem to get the stunning colors out of them like it should. I have two 20 inch strip lights. I believe they are 15watts each. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. dvc_r Well Known Member Member

Do you have one bulb on each side of your 60 gal? Or Do you have two- 15 watts bulbs in each unit for a total of four bulbs? Also what have you tried so far?
    I like what you did to your tank, are they live plants? What kind of Rainbow and how old are they?

Remember, colors will get brighter as they get older and if you want to bring out more color, feed them a large variety of foods (ie: flakes, granules, frozen bloodworms, white and black worms, brine, and they love daphnia)

3. alicem Member Member

Yes, maturity, good diet and regular partial water changes will bring out their colors.

Now, about flourescent bulbs, if you look at replacements, there usually is a graph on the side of the package.
    I like the ones that have higher reds and blues on the scale.

Something else to try:
    If you place the lights forward, toward the front part of the tank, it will illuminate "your viewing side" of the fish and not back light them.
    alicem

4. Fwfish182 Initiate Member

I have just one of each bulb. So a total of 2. Haven't really tried many different bulbs but now that I think of it I haven't changed them in awhile. I have a varied diet. Live, frozen, flakes, pellets, crisps. I have turquoise, red, boesmanis, eastern and western rainbows (I think that's what they're called, neon rainbows and some Congo tetras. Thanks for asking and thanks for the input!

5. dvc_r Well Known Member Member

I can't believe you said that! That was the next thing I was going to say! :;laughing

Your on the right track. I also use foods with beta carotene to bring out the reds, I even use pellets that I feed my Discus for this reason. As for the lighting, Although this is also a personal preference "in general" light from the "warmer" end of the color spectrum will enrich their colors to their fullest.

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello. :animal0068: I have moved your thread to the "freshwater tank equipment/lighting" section of the forum. It may help you to get more responses.
    Thanks!
    Ken