Best Light Bulb To Go With This One For Planted Tank?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by RAWRitsEDWIN, Apr 18, 2012.

1. RAWRitsEDWINNew MemberMember

I plan on using the Zoo Med AquaSun T-5 HO Double Light Linear Fluorescent Hood ( ) to replace the LED lights on my tank. I think this would be a better light fixture for a planted tank.

I know for sure I will be using the Zoo Med T-5 HO Flora Sun Max Plant Growth Fluorescent Bulb ( ).

I do not know what bulb I should pair this one with. It is either between these two:

Zoo Med T-5 HO Ultra Sun Super Daylight Fluorescent Bulb ( )

OR

Zoo Med T-5 HO Ocean Sun 10,000K Fluorescent Bulb ( )

2. nexigen

nexigenValued MemberMember

Depends on the type of aquarium you have. If it's reef/coral or not. If it isn't, I would use the Ultra Sun Super Daylight -- 6500K one. If you have coral, you'd probably want actinic light.

3. iZaO JnrWell Known MemberMember

The OP said planted tank.

The bulb you use will all depend on how deep your tank is and what type of plants you want to keep. With that information we can help you :)

4. nexigen

nexigenValued MemberMember

Then 6500K Daylight bulb would be my recommendation.

5. OP
    OP
    R

RAWRitsEDWINNew MemberMember

My tank is 16 inches deep. I have about 3 inches of Flourite in the tank, so I guess that means I have about 13 inches of depth left above the Flourite.

I want to keep any plant that this fixture can grow.

6. iZaO JnrWell Known MemberMember

I would go for the T5HO 6500K bulb. They will be your best option.

With that light setup you could keep any low light plants and quite a few medium light plants.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice