Best Large Partners For Smaller Fish?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Nada Mucho, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Nada Mucho

Nada Mucho Well Known Member Member

I've recently planted a new 30 gallon tank and I'm in the process of making stocking decisions. Currently this is what I'm planning:

Julii Cory x4
    Tiger Barb x7
    Espe's Rasbora x10
    Red Cherry Shrimp xX

I would like to choose a few individual fish that are a bit bigger than the ones above to add some contrast and size. I was thinking maybe a swordtail or a molly but I was hoping to tap some knowledge.

Any thoughts or feedback would be most welcome.

Thank you!

2. J

Joey Wales New Member Member

Hi, maybe a small Gourami would fit. Dwarf Gouramis are quite passive as are Honey Gouramis. I have a red morph of a honey gourami and she's lovely, very active and very cute.

3. OP
    OP
    Nada Mucho

Joey Wales thank you very much for your reply and suggestion. Would I have to worry about the Tiger Barbs wtih the Gourami? I read they can be fin nippers.

4. J

Maybe the barbs would be the only issue. I keep mine with guppies which are notorious fin nippers but they seem to stay away. But the barbs may be the only issue. Gouramis like lots of bushery like live or artificial plants and hiding spaces. But are very beautiful.

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    Nada Mucho

I've just planted my tank out but I'm not sure if this would be the kind of cover needed.

Should grow up nice on the ends of the tank and hopefully the carpet in front will fill in.

6. J

That looks pretty good to me. Maybe a couple more taller ones would be advised for a bit more hiding capacity and to create gaps in the surface. But if it fills out a bit more as you said i think it looks ok.

7. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I agree a honey gourami would be good. A swordtail or molly would also work.
    Also I would up the cories to 8.

8. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Agree, a honey gourami, swordtail, or a molly would work.

You can maybe try the Bolivian Ram?

9. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

I'd worry about the tiger barbs overwhelming the rasboras with their activity level... As far as I know, espeis are pretty shy fish and do best with calmer tankmates.

10. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

I have espei, they are absolutely peaceful. They are not shy in my tank but nobody bothers them.I feel they would be overwhelmed by the tiger barbs.
    What about doing cherry barbs if you really want barbs. Maybe add two pearl Gouramis,vthey are fairly big and peaceful.

11. J

It's hard to say what is peaceful and what isn't when it seriously depends on the individual fish. I was sold a female Betta which is with other female Bettas, which has turned out to be a male and there's no aggression, just a bit of chasing. He's very docile. It's best not to risk things unless you have a place you could move it to.

12. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

You have your large fish in the plan - tiger barbs. They will reach 3-4 inches with wide bodies if well cared for, and at full adult size in a 30 gallon, you would be full. Tiger barbs alone would push you to the limit.
    They will demolish the espeis or small Rasbora. Tiger barbs are not "mean" but they eat what fits in their mouths, and if the flow from the filter isn't strong enough to keep them burning off energy, they will destroy tankmates. They may be small now, but you have to plan for success.

13. OP
    OP
    Nada Mucho

NavigatorBlack and the rest of y'all I really appreciate the information. I'm going to bail on the Tiger Barbs as I just can't make it work with the number I'd need for "schooling" and the limited partners you can put in the tank. My next tank is a 55 gallon and that might just be a Tiger Barb playground. I'm going with a nice big school of Espe's Rasboras and some other fast movers. Then I can have my shrimp as well without any worry of them being Barb-snacks. Many thanks for all the help folks.

14. vikingkirken

You could do smaller barbs like checkered or Odessa if you really want barbs :) They'll be fun to watch and more peaceful. Tiger barbs give the whole group a bad name, but many barbs are quite peaceful.

15. OP
    OP
    Nada Mucho

I will definitely look into those two barbs. Thank you sir for the information.

16. vikingkirken

Ma'am ;-) but no worries!

17. OP
    OP
    Nada Mucho

Normally I'm neutral on that but VikingKirken, to me, screams testosterone. :)

18. vikingkirken

Haha nah it's just inspired by a lot of Scandinavian blood in my heritage... and I was a bit of tomboy growing up--I did have a monster truck in high school--so no girly-girl names for me :D Although it was fun ordering gas with that thing... I'd ask in this honey-sweet voice and the attendants would all double-take.

19. OP
    OP
    Nada Mucho

A monster truck in high school? you were one well funded young lady. Me I had a hand-me-down bike and when I finally was able to get a car at 18 my Dad loaned me the money at 9 points interest. I think I would have preferred the monster truck... but not that gas or tires bill. :)

20. vikingkirken

It was $2200... and it needed work... which I was doing regularly. But yeah, the gas bill killed me. I only kept it a year.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice