Best Ich treatment in your opinion??

Status
Not open for further replies.

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had some ich going on in my tank a couple of weeks ago. I treated with Ich clear tablets. All of the fish got better except my clown loaches.
I thought everything worked until I saw the loaches! They have quite a few spots. They were always hiding in the caves, so I'm thinking the medication didn't seep into there as well. Of course I didn't notice it until they came out to say hello!

I raised the temp by 2 degrees today, so it's at 80. I will slowly raise to 86 as I read on here.

Anyone like to share what they think is the best treatment?

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would go with daily gravel vacs along with the increased temperature, no other medications, especially with loaches who are pretty sensitive to most treatments. Ive cured ich a few different ways, and this seems to be the safest approach, I learned the hard way after losing a few healthy fish to the harsh medications.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I brought my temperature up to 86 and treated with salt. All signs of ick disappeared fairly quickly (but of course I continued treatment for an additional 2 weeks ).

Keep in mind that you need to make sure your fish are salt tolerant before you use it.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I would use the increased temperature method over medications unless I was losing fish. At that point I would use a medication of some sort. Leave the temperature raised for a FULL two weeks. Do two gravel vacuums each week to remove the spores that fall off the fish and into the substrate. Warmer water requires more oxygen so adding an air stone/supply line would be a good idea.

Some members use salt others do not. Personally I wouldn't.

For Goldfish I think I may go with the Ick Attack that Gremlin has mentioned in previous posts. Due to the fact that the increased temperatures may stress the Goldfish since they are a temperate species.

Ken

OP
FishLuver

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I dont have any goldfish, but that is good to know! I will try with raising the temp.

How often should I raise the temp until it reaches 86? I thought about 2 degrees a day?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

The longer it takes for you to reach 86 degrees means your fish are going to be exposed to ICH that much longer. If your tank is 80 now then that means 3 more days of exposure before you reach the 86.

Start with 2 degrees. See how long it takes for your temperature to rise. Wait a few hours and bump it up 2 more degrees. I know sudden temperature fluctuations are dangerous and by this I mean taking a fish from 80 degrees and immediately putting it in a tank of 76 degrees, it could be fatal. I don't think raising your temperature 6 degrees in a 24 hour period is going to do any harm. Take into consideration when you acclimate a new fish into your tank it's usually done in a 2 hours or less. This includes the temperature adjustment too

I recommend that you raise your temperature slowly throughout the day and things should be fine.

Ken

OP
FishLuver

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello,

The longer it takes for you to reach 86 degrees means your fish are going to be exposed to ICH that much longer. If your tank is 80 now then that means 3 more days of exposure before you reach the 86.

Start with 2 degrees. See how long it takes for your temperature to rise. Wait a few hours and bump it up 2 more degrees. I know sudden temperature fluctuations are dangerous and by this I mean taking a fish from 80 degrees and immediately putting it in a tank of 76 degrees, it could be fatal. I don't think raising your temperature 6 degrees in a 24 hour period is going to do any harm. Take into consideration when you acclimate a new fish into your tank it's usually done in a 2 hours or less. This includes the temperature adjustment too

I recommend that you raise your temperature slowly throughout the day and things should be fine.

Ken
Great point! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom