Best ich treatment for rummynose tetra

EdieBadedie

Hello all. I picked up 6 rummynose tetra from my LFS today and put them in my quarantine tank. I am aware that these guys are very sensitive, so I made sure the tank was cycled and had Indian almond leaves in it. Two fish had red marks on their side, possible from rough handling of LFS. Within 5 hours, I had lost a fish. I figured it was stress and difference in water parameters (I acclimated them for an hour and a half even though my water is very similar to the LFS in pH). Now, 6 hours later, clear ich spots have formed.
I would normally raise temp and add salt, but I am seeing rummynose are sensitive to salt. Being scaleless, they are also sensitive to meds. I have salt, API Super Ick Cure, and paraguard on hand currently.
What do you think the best course of treatment would be? Luckily they are quarantined so no worries about the main tank. I am thinking Paraguard because those red spots might also be a secondary bacterial infection, but I am not sure.

GlennO

Just raise temp to at least 30C. No need to add salt. If you prefer to use meds try the Paraguard. It's the gentler option, which also means that it may be less effective but you've caught it early so it may be sufficient.

EdieBadedie

GlennO said:
Just raise temp to at least 30C. No need to add salt. If you prefer to use meds try the Paraguard. It's the gentler option, which also means that it may be less effective but you've caught it early so it may be sufficient.
Thanks so much. I am currently raising the temp slowly

Latest threads

Top Bottom