Best Hob Or Other Filter For Betta Tank?

ValerieAdams
So I’m redoing my 5 gallon betta tank. I’m putting in CaribSea Super Natural sand as the substrate and will probably do a crypt or fake plants as the lighting is low in it. I also plan on adding a MTS to help stir the sand and possibly a nerite or mystery snail. That being said, what are the best HOB filters? Or are other filters better for a betta tank? Right now it has an internal tetra filter and I hate it lol. It takes up so much space inside the tank.

Lorekeeper
The Azoo Mignon 60 would be my vote.

Either that, or modify an Aquaclear 10 to have much slower flow.

KeegansTropiks
Good hang on filters are ones that water flows up in the chamber and not back to front as this allows more room for water to pass through to media.
I use a fluval Edge HOB that came with my tank and it works great however a HOB for a 5 gallon needs to have adjustable flow as bettas cannot take too much current and a 5 gallon is very hard to control.
Have u tried a corner filter? They can be tucked into a corner and filter tank without causing too much circulation.
Hope this helped.

Mr. Kgnao
In my Betta tank I just use a sponge filter, seems to work fine.

ValerieAdams
Good hang on filters are ones that water flows up in the chamber and not back to front as this allows more room for water to pass through to media.
I use a fluval Edge HOB that came with my tank and it works great however a HOB for a 5 gallon needs to have adjustable flow as bettas cannot take too much current and a 5 gallon is very hard to control.
Have u tried a corner filter? They can be tucked into a corner and filter tank without causing too much circulation.
Hope this helped.

I haven’t heard of a corner filter, I will look into them. Do you know any HOB filters that have an adjustable flow?

Cardeater
I normally recommend Aquaclears for HOB threads but for your situation, I think the sponge filter for the Betta is a good recommendation. Bettas don't like high flow so the sponge filter is great for aeration and filtering with a low flow.

ValerieAdams
I should also add that this is going in my bedroom so I want one relatively quiet

Cardeater
I should also add that this is going in my bedroom so I want one relatively quiet

I recall that there was a discussion about noise in another thread a month ago.

Basically, it depends on what bothers you more. Some people get annoyed by an air pump and /or bubbles. Others don't mind it. The same can be said for the waterfall sound HOBs make.

KeegansTropiks

There are many adjustable HOB filters out there but only a few are suitable to smaller aquariums.
Hang in filters tent to be more noisy though, I have a fluval Edge 12 gallon and the filter is fairly noisy but I’m used to it I guess.
Sponge or corner filters use a bubbles pulling up water in through the filter to filter your water thus their is no mechanical parts moving like the propeller in the HOB filter thus no noise.
For a 5 gallon anyway sponge or corner filter is best for what you want.

imba
I normally recommend Aquaclears for HOB threads but for your situation, I think the sponge filter for the Betta is a good recommendation. Bettas don't like high flow so the sponge filter is great for aeration and filtering with a low flow.

I agree with this. Best HOB? I think that's Aquaclear 20 for a 5.5 gallon. But modifications need to be done to lessens the flow. Even on lowest setting, it is still too strong for a Betta imo.

Best filter for a Betta would be a sponge filter.

E150GT
Sponge would work great but it might be too noisy. I would say an internal filter. I use a penguin 75 with my 5 gallon and I used to have a betta. It worked well. He would get blown around a bit if he swam in front of the outlet but he had plenty of space to swim at his leisure. He like to explore quite a bit.

-Mak-
Someone above said Azoo mignon 60, I agree. It's the smallest available HOB I've seen and has adjustable flow. The media that comes with it is just sponge, so I cut the sponge in half, put it in the bottom of the chamber, and on top of that I put bio media.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fisch
  • Question
Replies
Views
RayClem
  • Question
Replies
Views
Dunk2