Best Hob Filter For 20 Gallon Long Tank

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Your post title says 20 gallon but your actual post says 29 lol. For a 20 gallon, you should do an Aquaclear 50. For a 29, you should do an Aquaclear 70. It's all about gallons per hour, never look at the "rated up to" on most filters. You need 8-10 X your gallon amount (I always go with 10). So an AC 50 filters 200 gallons per hour, and the AC 70 filters 300 gallons per hour. If you have a Penguin 150 on a 29 gallon, you're only getting half the filtration you need. Also, Aquaclears are much better filters.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Penguin and Fluval usually make pretty good filters and so does Marineland. Even Whisper is a good brand to try. What would work best in a long tank is to get a size rated for a larger tank...rated for 30 or 40 gallons. Also, see if you can find a model that takes 3 layere of filtering media instead of just a single cartridge. They usually come with a sponge as one of their layers. This sponge can be cleaned by just squishing it in a container of dechlorinated water a few times and then you don't lose the beneficial bacteria in it.
cgittelm1 said:
What's the best HOB filter for a 29 gallon long tank? Currently have a Marineland Penguin 150 but I'm just not impressed.

HaileStorm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Been using a Seachem Tidal 55 on my 23g for 5 months now. Still impressed with its performance. Cleaning is really easy too.
cgittelm1 said:
What's the best HOB filter for a 29 gallon long tank? Currently have a Marineland Penguin 150 but I'm just not impressed.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
finnipper59 said:
Penguin and Fluval usually make pretty good filters and so does Marineland. Even Whisper is a good brand to try. What would work best in a long tank is to get a size rated for a larger tank...rated for 30 or 40 gallons. Also, see if you can find a model that takes 3 layere of filtering media instead of just a single cartridge. They usually come with a sponge as one of their layers. This sponge can be cleaned by just squishing it in a container of dechlorinated water a few times and then you don't lose the beneficial bacteria in it.
Penguin filters are Marineland filters. Also, dont go by rating, go by gallons per hour.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AquaticJ said:
Penguin filters are Marineland filters. Also, dont go by rating, go by gallons per hour.
Thanks for correcting me on Penguin and Marineland. I think I knew that, but overlooked it when trying to remember brands of filters. I've not shopped for filters in a long time. My canister filter for my 55 gallon tank is rated for tanks up to 150 gallons but I don't know its flow rate. Works great though. My bad.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom