best hiding places for guppy fries

free.will77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi guys

since I've been keeping guppies I figured it out what is the best hiding place for the fries, once I added some rocks like a small pile, but it seemed that the fries didn't like it so I changed it and added more aquarium plants but you know there are lots of kind of them so I tried some of them and the best ones are the one that I attached the pics,but not the one with the small flowers, they tend to hide better behind the round leaves.
and another way which I found the best it's the mixture of these plants with cockles (it took me some time to find the word in english;D). you can put the cockles between the plants. and lay it like a pile.
they always choose a corner of the tank and it was interesting for me because I tried the other places but they refused to move! so put the cockles pile and plastic plants in one corner they would live happily there!

Bahar

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like your idea, although I'm not sure if the shells affect the water chemistry. I've stayed away from using them because of claims that they raise PH. If I am trying to keep fry safe temporarily I just use a separate birthing tank, or a spawning mop in the bottom, this gives them plenty of hiding places. Another option for a more permanent hiding place is to use the flat round marbles like these
377.jpg

378.jpg

The fry hide in these very well.

free.will77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
spawning mop what a neat idea. I like it. I don't use breeding tank and don't separate them anymore, because I figured it out that they grow much quicker when they are in the main tank, I myself recognized the signs of coloring and spotting on their fins in 3 days after I added them back in original tank and about my new fries in 2 weeks they have grown more compare with the previous ones.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
spawning mops are very easily made at home also, there is a DIY on youtube if you search for it, very simple and cheap.

free.will77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thank you, but unfortunately youtube and facebook are filtered by the government, I can't access them. thank you anyway for info.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom