Best Heaters?

Shastam

Reaction score
I am currently using a 2.5 gal hex, and am setting up a 5. I'm wondering what heaters you've all tried, and which ones you would suggest. I tired a 7.5 watt micro heater, and it really sucked. Its been suggested that I try out the hydor 25 watt. I just want one that will heat up the tank with a thermostat and not over heat the tank. ie the heating element takes so long to cool off that the water just gets too hot. Thanks!

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Shastam, I have a 6 gal eclipse and have a Stealth 25 w heater in it. It is small & compact - will shut off automatically when out of water & restarts when back in. It is fully submersible and the ad says it has +/- 1.0 degree F. My thermometer never moves so I would say that is true. And you can change the temp by 1 degree at a time. It was about $14 which seems to be the average price range in F&S catalogue.

All the info I read before setting up my aquarium advised not to buy a chintzy heater.

Val

Pepsi216

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I use a 50W Visi-therm Stealth Heater in both my 5.5 gal and 10 gal. Like Kat said, it's a very reliable heater, and will keep even a small tank at a constant temp. I've been very happy with it.

Check around at the prices by you; what I've found is that Petsmart will take all competitor prices, even from online retailers like Amazon. It gives a convenient option for those of us on a tight budget. I'm fortunate that the Petsmart in my area takes very good care of their fish, and their Aquatics manager really knows his stuff and keeps his workers on their toes. If only all big businesses were that way......

~Kelly

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
As you know, I'm a fan of the visi-therm stealth heaters over at DFS too. Eventually we'll replace the heaters we got before finding them with the visi-therm stealths, just in FL with summer coming on, it's not as high on the list as other supplies (like the 10w flor. natural spectrum bulbs) we need.. well need and/or want. Seems like we're doing a bit of converting in the older tanks to better things as we learn and want to spoil our babies.

heatmisr

Valued Member
Reaction score
I also suggest the Visi-therm heater. I am using a 25W for a 5 gallon. The proper heater makes a big difference. I originally had a Top Fin heater from PetSmart and it did not regulate the temperature well. Also, make sure you change the light bulb to a fluorescent bulb. Here's a link:

Just make sure that you get the colormax bulb, not a 50/50 bulb.

The bulb that comes with the tank gives off a lot of heat and will raise the temp anywhere from 2-4 degrees.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have 2 50 watt in all my 12 gallon and 2 75 watt in my 25 gallon divided tank and I love all of them. They look nice and are accurate and have a lifetime gaurantee so be sure to keep the box and receipt but I have never known anyone who has had to use it. They make them with quality so they do not have to use the gaurantee. They are simply the best heater around and the cheapest place to buy them is always . They have a Visi-therm Deluxe do not get into them they are junk.

Rose

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
heatmisr, will that bulb fit into the Hex 5 from Walmart? I assume it's probably the same socket size as the Eclipse but I was wondering if you or anyone would know for sure before I buy it.

Thanks!
Whitney

Shastam

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to head to a few stores near me tomorrow and see who has what and what their prices are.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
antisen said:
heatmisr, will that bulb fit into the Hex 5 from Walmart? I assume it's probably the same socket size as the Eclipse but I was wondering if you or anyone would know for sure before I buy it.

Thanks!
Whitney
we've got one of those 10w fluorescent bulbs in our Hex5 from walmart. They fit & really help those hex tanks from heating up so much.

heatmisr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes, it will.

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have two "All Glass Aquarium" 50 watt heaters and will be replacing my other two cheap Top fin heaters with those as well.  They are the same quality as Visi-Therm, have lifetime warranty and precise temp adjustment. They are also very small, about 6 inches long so they have the added benefit of not taking up a lot of space in the tank. Lot's of equipment in the tank makes it so ugly IMO. It's easy to hide with a plant or ornament.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom