Best Heater

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by Isabella, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Isabella

IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

Which heater brand and model do you think is the best, and why? Thanks for any responses.

I have read that any aquarium equipment such as thermometers and heaters is good for one year only, and that after this period they should be replaced. How often (on average) do you think heaters break? Does that mean that just because I have had my heater for more than a year I should buy a new one?

2. Jason

JasonWell Known MemberMember

I dont think you should buy a new one, unless you've checked your thermometer and it is no longer heating the tank.

BTW I use Jager heaters (Eheim associated company - German made 4 me) and they work great and have a 3 year warranty. Their tank size ratings are accurate as they can heat a tank they say they can with ease.

3. newbie101

newbie101Well Known MemberMember

oh, I didn't know the Jager were German, ah well next tank I set up... ;) German is the best

4. chickadee

chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

The people at Marineland who make the Visi-therm Deluxe and Visi-them Stealth seem to be very sure of themselves. They offer a lifetime guarantee on both of these heaters. I do and shall continue to use both of these heaters in my tanks and have had no problems with them. I did purchase back-ups with them so I do have 2 of each style in case one ever goes out, but I have kept my sales tickets (Only allow them to put 1 heater on each ticket) and if the day comes when one goes out, I fully intend to take advantage of their kind generosity and ask for a new heater.

I don't know about routinely changing the equipment after a year. I guess now that Marineland is in my tank I will leave it up to them, but if I had the old heater I used to have, I might change it but then it didn't even last a year.

Hope this helps a little.

Rose
    ;)

5. dano569

dano569Valued MemberMember

i use visi-therm stealths in both my 55S and a whisper in my 20.i don't like the whisper all that much,but i love the visi-therm.marineland makes great stuff. IMO

6. OP
    OP
    Isabella

Thanks all of you. As for myslelf, I am using Tectronic submersible heaters on my 10G and on my 30G. The reason I use this brand is because this is the only one at my LFS (here we go again ... my wonderful LFS that has everything except what's most essential).

I've had these heaters for as long as I had my tanks running - meaning for about 1.5 - 2 years. I have to say they have been pretty accurate so far and they seem to be working great. However, they haven't broken YET, so what else can I say except the fact that they work. Perhaps they're going to break soon (their warranty is for only one year, so I am suspecting they could break at any time after one year). I am curious of their public opinion. Anybody heard any opinions on Tectronic submersibles?

I am considering buying 2 backup heaters as well (especially if Tectronic heaters have bad ratings). You never know, right?

7. jim55379

jim55379Valued MemberMember

Not sure of the best heater Isabella but I just had one go bad a few weeks ago. I noticed the temperature was fluctuating for about the last month. then one day I checked and my poor goldfish were being steamed out. The temp climbed to about 28 celcius. I usually keep it around 19 or 20. I think the thermostat or something froze on it. Any way my goldfish are unusually tough and they were fine. I threw the old one away and bought one at wallmart for about $20.00. If it was my other tank that changed by 10 degrees I think my tigers and danios would have died possilby. A good lesson learned here and I do it everyday. Check your temperature every time you feed your fish for signs of danger and you should be ok.

8. OP
    OP
    Isabella

Thanks Jim. You're right. I have been checking the temperature every day, but that wasn't with every single feeding ... Now, I'll be doing that with every feeding. That heater you got was pretty cheap; great price. Is it submersible? I am really starting to hate my LFS! I had to pay for my 2 heaters about 35$ each :-\ And a fluorescent bulb I got there cost me about 35$ too, while later I discovered it for half the price online. What the heck is my LFS thinking?

9. jim55379

Don't feel bad Isabella... I bought a 20 gallon tank from my LFS (on sale!!) and after I figured out all the other stuff I had to buy with it heater, power filter, ect I figured I paid double of what I would have at Wallmart. I also bought 2 fish from them and they took off 1$ apiece for $10.00 fish (big deal) and they later died anyway. I have one word for you Isabella WALLMART!!

10. chickadee

the Marineland Heaters are $15.00 and $17.00 apiece at the for the size I bought (25 watt).
    The 100 watt are $17.00 and $18.00.

Shipping varies with the order total but starts at $7.99.

Like I said before these are given a lifetime warranty.

Rose
    :)

11. jim55379

That seems like a lot to ship a little heater. Are these the glass type? I guess if you buy a few things you may come out ahead.

12. OP
    OP
    Isabella

Thanks Rose and Jim. Unfortunately, I don't have a Wallmart near me. Online shopping seems a feasible option right now. Even with a $7 shipping and handling fee, I'd still pay less for a heater online than at my LFS - as with everything else.

13. chickadee

the Visi-Therm Deluxe has a kind of see through polymer tube but the Stealth is black plastic housing.

Rose
    :)

14. AlfaBetta

AlfaBettaValued MemberMember

I wouldn't say German-made are the best, afterall BMW's are German-made and they're riddled with problems. I'd say the Marineland Stealths are the closest to best that I've seen. Thermo-plastic is much more durable not to mention safer than any glass heater. If the German-made heaters are so reliable they should have lifetime warranties like the Marineland heaters.