Best heater for 20 gallon tank?

jkkgron2

I just noticed my heater was rusting, so I removed it ASAP. But, now I don’t have a heater for my shell dwellers. I’ve been looking at some and here are the ones I’ve been considering. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of them and which they’d recommend?

https://www.amazon.com/Mylivell-Aqu...eb-ad06-aebbef559a37&tag=5042nst800sr-20&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Orlushy-Subm...&qid=1606870275&sprefix=20g+aq,aps,192&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/EHEIM-Jager-...qid=1606870275&sprefix=20g+aq,aps,192&sr=8-11

BigManAquatics

We have had a 100 watt top fin heater for almost 3 years in our 20(now 29)and have had no problems with it! Just because of the age i probably will replace soon.

I haven't used any of those brands yet. Eheim is on the way for my 45g, have given thought to the Orlushy, just thought maybe the price was too good to be true.

Upvote 0

Mikedick77

I have the Orlushy 200W in my 55 gallon now. Works good. Free digital thermometer that works decent also. Price is good too. I would buy again.

Upvote 0

RayClem

I do not have any comments on the brands you referenced. I have been purchasing ViaAqua heaters recently. I have several of them.

Make sure you get the right size heater. If the difference between the lowest room temperature and your desired tank temperature is no more than 10 degrees F, then a 100 watt heater should work. If the room gers colder than that in the middle of winter, then get one twice as big. I have some tanks in the basement and it gets down to 60 degrees, so I need a 200 watt heater for a 20 gallon tank. I currently have a 300 watt heater in a 40 gallon breeder and it won't keep the tank above 75 degrees. I may need to add a second heater in another month or two when it gets really cold.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Personally, I have this heater in my tank. The temp is a Lil off by 2-3 degrees F. When I set it to 79F it is at 76F, when I set it to 82F is sets at 79-80F but it keeps my tank at 79-80F. Though the first and second ones you listed are great options. I would do a 100-watt heater. It should suffice The heater I link down below has been keeping my tank at 79-80F spot on for since I got it. (3 months ago)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZNX5G3F/ref=twister_B0813MYNM1?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Upvote 0

jake37

I've been using this heater in my tank:
https://amazon.com/Hygger-Titanium-Submersible-Thermostat-Controller/dp/B07HGXHX5Y
---
They do have a 100 watt version. Kind of pricey but works well. Only real complaint is the suction cup on the thermometer - i end up looping them around something. Oh and the cords are a bit shorter than they should be - doesn't work well if you have a tall tank and you set the controller on the floor.

Upvote 0

Burdigala

I have no issues using Eheim heaters.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

What about the first option? Seems like it’s not prone to overheating (not saying any of these are, just had some bad experiences with heaters malfunctioning) and because my house is fairly close to the temp of the tank I’m not to worried about it having trouble heating up the tank.
I've been using this heater in my tank:
https://amazon.com/Hygger-Titanium-Submersible-Thermostat-Controller/dp/B07HGXHX5Y
---
They do have a 100 watt version. Kind of pricey but works well. Only real complaint is the suction cup on the thermometer - i end up looping them around something. Oh and the cords are a bit shorter than they should be - doesn't work well if you have a tall tank and you set the controller on the floor.
I actually have one of the hygger ones. It’s working great, I just don’t want to spend $50+ On a heater right now. Otherwise I would get that.

Upvote 0

jake37

I should have mentioned I have a 150watt Orlushy; i use it to heat the water in the pail the night before water changes. It is ok but given how little i use it - it shows a lot of wear (glass is turning brown). Not sure how well it would hold up with daily use.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I have a Finnex HPG 200 in my 55g and it keeps it 82. Others have had issues with them, but don't they on everything? The Hyggar 50w small heater I had in my 5g overheated in less that a year. That doesn't mean the titanium's are the same though. In my 5g I have a Jager 50w. Seems good so far. Only had it a month or so though.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

I should have mentioned I have a 150watt Orlushy; i use it to heat the water in the pail the night before water changes. It is ok but given how little i use it - it shows a lot of wear (glass is turning brown). Not sure how well it would hold up with daily use.
Hm... Sounds like it may not be the best then. I may try out the first option, as it has pretty good reviews and is pretty cheap.

I have a Finnex HPG 200 in my 55g and it keeps it 82. Others have had issues with them, but don't they on everything? The Hyggar 50w small heater I had in my 5g overheated in less that a year. That doesn't mean the titanium's are the same though. In my 5g I have a Jager 50w. Seems good so far. Only had it a month or so though.
That’s good to know! I’ll look into the finnex heater, thanks!

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I actually have a Fluval Tronic heater from about 2000 that still works! I just don't trust it anymore. Good for a emergency back up. They were cool they had a removable guard you could take apart and clean. I loved them heaters.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

I ended up getting the fluval M series 100 watt heater. That’s the heater I plan on using for my SW tank so I decided it might be a good idea to test it out on this tank first. Should arrive in a week. Until then I’ll just monitor the temp and maybe float a water bottle with hot water if it gets too cold.

Upvote 0

RayClem

No matter what brand of heater you purchase, it is unlikely that the thermostat will be properly calibrated. That is not a big deal as you just set the thermostat at the setting that will give you the temperature you desire.

As far as reliability, I have had many heaters over my decades in fishkeeping. They will all fail, some sooner, some later. Thus, always have a GFCI protector and keep a spare heater for the time when the heater will fail.

Upvote 0

dbhoyle

I have the Orlushy 200W in my 55 gallon now. Works good. Free digital thermometer that works decent also. Price is good too. I would buy again.
Hey how is the heater doing?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• UnknownGuppyLover
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
fishfoodlady
  • Question