best heater/filter for 30 litre tank

1. bean

bean Valued Member Member

i'm starting my first betta tank and im just looking up on heater and filters for it. i know they dont like flow from the filters so its hard to find a good one. i would prefer a internal one if possible. i was looking at the Tetra Whisper Internal Power FILTER 2-10 G and other ones..
    the tank im getting has one that comes with a filter but im not sure about the flow of it..
    9d72c0f13c.jpg
    also would the hydor theo 50w or 25w be better?
    (i sometimes have the air conditioner heater on in my room)

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I would go with a 25w heater unless it gets really cold in the winter.

As for the filter, have you considered a sponge filter?

3. OP
    OP
    bean

yeah i have but would the bubbles coming out bother them?

4. Aquaphobia

Shouldn't! They don't bother my Bettas anyway. Besides, with some types of sponge filters you can position the outlet right at the surface so there are no rising bubbles.

5. ashleyb

ashleyb Valued Member Member

My bettas play in the bubbles lol but one of them had resorted to fin nipping and it turned out to be due to stress over the strong current his HOB filter was providing. Switched to sponges and have never looked back. It keeps the tank very chill and peaceful for them. I also find them to be tremendously cheaper and therefore grossly underrated.

6. OP
    OP
    bean

ok :) just any type of sponge filter like these?
    25b4f42239.jpg
    how would i seed the tank with one of them? i use aquaclears on all my other tanks and was wanting to use the media from that to seed

also are those fake moss balls ok to use? ive been searching about them but its just comparing fake to real etc

7. Aquaphobia

Yep! Those are the ones that sit on the bottom but if you want something that doesn't take up floor space or that attaches to the side of the tank so you can easily adjust the height then go for one like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Aquarium-Biochemical-Sponge-Filter-Fish/dp/B0056XVF82

I use one and two-sponge versions of that and they work great!

The way I do it is either to take the sponge off (super easy to do with the type at my link) and stick it in the HOB and leave it there for 2 or 3 weeks. Or, if you don't have time to wait, take a bit of sponge or floss out of the cycled tank and then wrap it around the new sponge or tie it to the new sponge or whatever works for you depending on the type of media you're using to seed it, and then let it run until it's cycled!

8. ashleyb

ashleyb Valued Member Member

Those are great! I use the corner filters that have compartments that let me add my own bio media. Mine all have sponges, floss, ceramic rings and gravel in them and are multi layered. I like having the option to use my own media or throw some activated carbon in there after a med round or something. They take up more room but I've never had a problem cycling a tank with them!