Best Guppy Strain???

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by Allinone, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Allinone

Allinone Valued Member Member

Which guppy strain other than endler is easy to maintain on breeding in your experiences?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  2. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Endlers, of course, although they aren't exactly guppies. They're Micopoecilia wingeii ;)

3. OP
    OP
    Allinone

Thanks for your reply. In our area people are not attracted towards endlers. I would like to breed and sell guppies without losing their exact strain. I breeded some Albinos and it was tough to maintain their strain. I would like to know a guppy strain other than endler which can be easily maintained on breeding.

4. endlercollector

How was it tough to maintain the albinos? Were they sickly or did they not breed true?

5. OP
    OP
    Allinone

I used good coloured parents with good shape of body and tale. I got the F1 guppies with low colour and small tail. In F2 generation, most of them were with crooked spine and small size with low colour. I heated that Albinos are tough to handle which can easily loss their strain. So I am giving away them and starting new strain of guppies.

6. endlercollector

Did the F2 generation have a lot of fry born with crooked spines or did that develop once they became adults? I'm curious. How big a grow out tank did you have and what were you feeding them?

7. OP
    OP
    Allinone

Yes, F2 generation had a lot of fry born with crooked spine. I am growing them with their parents. It's a 15g outdoor cement tank. I am giving them crushed flakes.

8. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

The neon blue strain is quite nice and tough.

9. endlercollector

That's troubling about fry born with crooked spines. Definitely a bad sign about where they came from.

15 gallons just isn't enough space to grow them out if they're fancy guppies. I wouldn't do this with less than 4 tanks--one for the parents and young fry, a sexing tank, and separate grow out tank for males and females. You want to control who the father is and not allow any imperfect fish to reproduce. Once you have a male that you really like, then you'll start line breeding his daughters and grand daughters with him, etc. You could have a 5th tank for pet quality culls. Considering that you will soon have hundreds of fish, unless you're euthanizing or feeding them to other fish, you'll need at least 20 and 29 gallon tanks.

At any rate, I would recommend that you find very healthy stock to start with. I don't know what you have available to you, but something like Adrian HD's Gold Body Swordtails are nice. Here's a link--they're at the very bottom:  

10. endlercollector

Also, if you can feed them some live food, that would help strengthen them. They probably get some mosquito larva being outside. Daphnia are easy to raise outside (they love green water), so you could look into that.

11. OP
    OP
    Allinone

I have six tanks. I am growing three types of gippiesof guppies. Now on I am trying to breed only one type of guppy. I like to raise best quality guppies for selling. I am a student. So I needed to know the best strain which can be easily maintained on breeding. I heard that its hard to maintain the albino full red strain. So I tried to give them away and start a new strain. I also started to grow microworms for them. I founded a breeder in my area. He has quality breeding pair of albino full red guppies, tuxedo white, tuxedo red and platinum red tail big ear guppies. So what do you think which among them is favourable for me?

12. JAMarlow

JAMarlow Valued Member Member

I constantly hear about problems with any of the albino guppies. You might try th platinum red tail big ear guppies. Big ear guppies of all types are rather popular right now.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice