Best group of plants for low light low maintenance nano tank?

MoshJosh

Well Known
Reaction score
Gonna be setting up a 5-10 gallon for my wild bettas, will be lowish light, and preferably plants that won't need returned constantly in order to fit in such a tank.

NC122606

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
MoshJosh said:
Gonna be setting up a 5-10 gallon for my wild bettas, will be lowish light, and preferably plants that won't need returned constantly in order to fit in such a tank.
Almost all of the Anubias would work! My corydoras sit on the leaves sometimes and it can support them somehow...
Check those out, they cannot be eaten and they are low tech.

OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

Well Known
Reaction score
Higher pH, think 7.5-7.8 is typical for my more established tanks. Any ideas for carpet plants, possible in low light? I had dwarf hair and S. Reppens in my 5 gal, but had nice lighting.

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
MoshJosh said:
Higher pH, think 7.5-7.8 is typical for my more established tanks. Any ideas for carpet plants, possible in low light? I had dwarf hair and S. Reppens in my 5 gal, but had nice lighting.
Which bettas are these though? That seems a bit high PH-wise, which is fine for some but maybe a bit eh for others.

Carpet can't really be done with true low light. Unless you count miniature crypts as a carpet. Your best option is probably dwarf sag, it grows decently in shade.

OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

Well Known
Reaction score
Cherry bettas (chadanoides??? Spelling???)

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
Betta channoides – Snakehead Betta
this one?

I believe this one requires blackwater with low PH and most of all low dissolved solids (TDS). All the above mentioned plants are great for that kind of environment. But you may want to think about how to make a suitable environment for these bettas with PH >7.5. Unless your tap is very low in TDS? In that case high PH doesn't have to be an issue. Anyhow leaf litter will be a very good addition.

New Threads