Best goldfish for this climate?

Cheesecake

Hello,
Earlier this year, me and my family started work on a 200 or so gallon pond. Its almost ready for fish, and so I was wondering what species/variants would be best for our climate. We live in Maryland, so the winters can (rarely) get into single digits, but the summers can (often) get to 100 degrees. We aren't looking to spend much money though, since whatever fish we will get will be the first fish in the pond (sort of a trial if you will).
Any suggestions? NevermindIgnoreMe Frisbee

Edit: I think we'll just start off with some regular feeder fish from Petco, just to "test the waters" (;)) if you will.
I'd still like to hear your suggestions!

Frisbee

Maybe Wakins or watonai? Those are both gorgeous and do well in outdoor ponds. I would recommend having a deicer though to keep it from freezing over in the winter. Wakin and watonai can both tolerate warmer waters as well, so summer heat shouldn’t be a problem.

I personally like watonai the best, they have those gorgeous slim bodies and flowy fins, but it’s all up to personal preference.

Upvote 0

jtjgg

how deep is the pond?

I have a 150g Rubbermaid stock tank pond with 5 feeder comets. it gets sun in the morning and shade in the afternoon. In the summer our temps are in the high 90's. Doesn't freeze much, but this spring we had a week long freeze. The spray bar kept a small hole open in the ice. The comets did fine.

I ask the employees to get me the long tail comets.

Upvote 0

BPSabelhaus

Most of our pond fish are feeder goldfish. You’ll be surprised at the colors they can get (and keep changing to ;) ) Start there then add a few Shubunkins if you want specific colors, patterns etc... Had a shubunkin that looked just like a giant neon tetra last year, unfortunately something ate him around the time we started getting visited by a Marten.

Upvote 0

Cheesecake

Maybe Wakins or watonai? Those are both gorgeous and do well in outdoor ponds. I would recommend having a deicer though to keep it from freezing over in the winter. Wakin and watonai can both tolerate warmer waters as well, so summer heat shouldn’t be a problem.

I personally like watonai the best, they have those gorgeous slim bodies and flowy fins, but it’s all up to personal preference.

What if I like them both lol?

how deep is the pond?

I have a 150g Rubbermaid stock tank pond with 5 feeder comets. it gets sun in the morning and shade in the afternoon. In the summer our temps are in the high 90's. Doesn't freeze much, but this spring we had a week long freeze. The spray bar kept a small hole open in the ice. The comets did fine.

I ask the employees to get me the long tail comets.

It's 2 feet deep and 6 feet across.

Most of our pond fish are feeder goldfish. You’ll be surprised at the colors they can get (and keep changing to ;) ) Start there then add a few Shubunkins if you want specific colors, patterns etc... Had a shubunkin that looked just like a giant neon tetra last year, unfortunately something ate him around the time we started getting visited by a Marten.

Gee, I wonder what ate him. I suppose it will always be a mystery ;).

Upvote 0

jtjgg

you can have a mix of different goldfish.

2' deep is a good, they'll be ok in the summer and winter.

Upvote 0

BPSabelhaus

At least until I set up a trail cam ;)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Catappa
  • Question
Replies
Views
Kaity