Best goldfish food

1. LWormy Member Member

What is the best goldfish pellet out there? Are gel food better than pellets? What is the best veggie for them? I want to promote bigger growth in my fantail and common goldfish. Please help!

2. Boeing250 Well Known Member Member

I feed:"Sinking goldfish granules"
    "Goldfish flakes"
    And,"Goldfish crisps".
    I have heard of people feeding brocoli,but my goldfish never eat it.

Hope this helps!

3. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Can I ask what Brand? I am trying to find some decent Goldie food myself :)

4. Boeing250 Well Known Member Member

Tetra fin for the flakes,
    Tetra color for the sinking goldfish granules,
    and,tetra fin for the crisps.

5. LWormy Member Member

So do anyone have experience working with gel food or no? What veggie is best for them? I feed them frozen bloodworm as a treat every week, is that okay?

6. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

LWormy, my personal favorites are New Life Spectrum, Omega One and Ken's Fish Food. This will all depend in what stage of your fish's life cycle is in, what it needs to grow/groom, etc..

Repashi makes great gel food, there are also recipes on the internet on how to make your own.

I personally do not feed blood worms, I stopped feeding fresh veggies and started feeding Ken's brand veggie pellets. Best of luck.

7. LWormy Member Member

My goldfish are both stunted for about a year (long story) and they are around 2 years old. I know that they reached their growing age, but won't they still grow? I got them into a 32 gallon tank now so I am hoping that I will see a growth spurt. I heard that only proper nutrition with enough space will make them grow. I am currently feeding them Nutrafin Max sinking goldfish pellet, Nutrafin veggie pellets, cooked wild/brown rice, snails that they caught/eat, and bloodworm. The common goldfish is about 3 inch and the fantail as 2 inch. What food do you recommend for their age and situation? I want to promote good growth.

8. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

LWormy, in my opinion, growth is based on genetics first, then diet and environment. I wouldn't worry too much about their size and feed a good quality staple sinking pellet. I personally use Omega One and will be soon trying Ken's Food staple pellets as i find Ken's food seems to be softer and fresher.

9. LWormy Member Member

Is omega one better or is new life spectrum? I can only choose one of them. Can you list the pros/cons?

10. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

11. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Both foods are great choices, but you will need to find out which food your goldies react to and like best. In my opinion, NLS and Ken's are superior to Omega One.

12. LWormy Member Member

Ok, thanks! They are eating some baby Malaysian trumpet snails in the tank, will that do any harm or no? They doesn't seems to be bothered by it (or anything, really), but I just want to make sure. The Malaysian trumpet snail babies are about 1-2 mm long.

13. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

I was using NLS Goldfish 3mm for awhile then switched to NLS Thera A 1mm pellets because that's what my ranchus were fed at the breeder. Both were great but the smaller pellets helped resolve a constipation/floaty issue in one of my fish. I haven't tried much in terms of staple pellets. I initially tried flakes (too messy!) then ran through a couple different types of Hikari (my goldfish did not do well on this) and finally went with NLS, and they all love it and look good. I would take a look at the homemade gel food recipes too, it's really interesting stuff. There are a lot of good options, and you've been given all the ones I have looked into already, so I'd say from here it's just about seeing what your goldies like :)