Best "glue" To Stick Rocks Together?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by oOturquoiseOo, Apr 12, 2017.

1. oOturquoiseOo

oOturquoiseOo Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I have some garnet schist that I would like to make into some caves. What is the best thing to use for this?

Thanks!

2. FishL:))

FishL:)) Well Known Member Member

I was actually just about to ask the same question. I guess I'll watch this post. :)

3. OldFort Exotics

OldFort Exotics Valued Member Member

I have seen Cory (aquarium co-op) use super glue gel to hold plants to rocks so that should work. But I ways us silicone (has to be 100% or could be toxic to fish) to hold rocks together just have to allow it to dry for 48 hours before putting it into water. Some people say 24 hours but I like to wait longer.

4. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Some plain silicone will do well. Just make sure you don't get any of the "anti mold" stuff. If you want to be extra safe you can spend a few dollars extra and get the "aquarium safe" silicone which is the exact same stuff as regular.

The superglue I always use is krazy glue. Perfectly safe

5. OP
    OP
    oOturquoiseOo

Thanks everyone :)

6. Tri5guy

Tri5guy Valued Member Member

Another little tidbit for asthetic appearance is this.......when i silicone my rocks together, i then hold them over a bucket of pre-cleaned and DRY sand. I sprinkle the sand-all over the wet silicone and after the 48 hour dry time, wipe away the excess sand, with your fingers, and the silicone is now invisible and looks more natural. I like to use a darker sand than the stones to give it a more "shadowed" look.

7. OP
    OP
    oOturquoiseOo

Awesome! Thanks for the tip :)

8. MelPaulATL

MelPaulATL Valued Member Member

what about Flourish Glue? Any luck w/ that? and anybody got better method than using just fingers....got that stuff ALL OVER me.

9. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

I've also used aquakneadit, it's white so you might want to use the sand idea on it to disguise it a bit. It's much more gap filling than super glue and stiffer than silicone if that's critical.

10. OP
    OP
    oOturquoiseOo

This is what I'm doing with the rocks so I don't have to be too concerned about silicon showing. I just want to make a few hiding places. :)

Attached Files:

11. TwoHedWlf

Yeah, no glue needed most of the time if you just stack them

12. OP
    OP
    oOturquoiseOo

I'm hoping to get a vampire shrimp and was told it's best to have sturdy caves for molting so I'm nervous now. Haha!

13. TwoHedWlf

They're not too big, as long as you've got the rocks on the glass or solid base so they can't undermine them and the rocks are a reasonable weight there should be no need to glue them.

I've got a stack of rocks in my tank that has never been moved by my bulldozer 14-15" redspot.

14. OP
    OP
    oOturquoiseOo

Thanks :) The rocks are pretty big. I'll rearrange them to make sure they're on the glass.

15. Tri5guy

I wouldnt glue those rocks. They are not stacked high at all, plus they look big enough to not be a falling issue. Also, i mean no disrespect,or offense, TwoHedWlf, cuz its just my opinion, but i will never put rocks directly on the glass. Thats a recipe for disaster, if the weight of the rocks are on an edge or point, and against the glass, it could crack the bottom, if theyre heavy enough. Spreading the weight is always a good idea. Im sure i wont be the only person that will advise this. Its best to have something under them, like the ever popular "eggcrate". I personally dont care for egg crate, its just too thick and looks crummy when exposed too easily, with diggers. I used to use thin foam glued to the parts that touched the glass. Recently I discovered a thing called needlepoint backing from a craft store. I actually tried it , and i have to say.....Its the best thing i ever tried, for several reasons.
    One, it acts as a rocks against glass barrier.
    Two, they are only about 1/16" thick and made of plastic. They are barely ever seen, even with the most avid diggers, like cichlids.
    And last, my favorite reason, they can be easily stuck to the bottom with a dab of silicone in each corner, and then used to tie down all your artificial plants, driftwood, etc with fishing line, and everything stays hidden and unmovable by even large fish that like to redecorate your tank!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  16. OP
    OP
    oOturquoiseOo

Thank you! I was a little worried about rock right on glass but I am also worried about squished fish/shrimp. Haha! I'll take your advice and glue some of that to the rocks and do it that way. :) We always called it plastic canvas. My mom used to be really into it in the 80's. Haha! I have a sheet somewhere around because I bought some to teach my son to sew.

17. Tri5guy

I think youll really like using it. It is quite handy. If youre worried about your crushed shrimp haha.... just anchor your rocks to it as well! You can glue them in place outside the tank , then put it all in as one unit after it dries.
    Remember to leave room between the rocks and canvas for your substrate layer

18. OP
    OP
    oOturquoiseOo

Thank you! This is exactly what I was planning to do after you mentioned the plastic canvas last night :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice