Best Frozen Food For Cichlids?

StanV

So I have a 125 Us Gallon with 1 JD, 2 Firemouths, 1 Kyoga Flameback and 10 African Peacocks. I feed them Omega One Color up Sinking and Floating pellets and I feed them frozen blood worm but they’re starting to run out and before I go and buy I wanted to see if anyone knows any better frozen food that I could try?

carsonsgjs

I’d just mix it up a bit and offer some variety. See if you can get hold of frozen black or white mosquito larvae, brine shrimp or mysis.

MacZ

All but bloodworms. Those are simply junk food for fish. As some of the peacocks are hybrids with Mbuna, it's best to leave bloodworms out of the mix completely.

So: mosquito larvae, artemia, daphnia, mysis, live or frozen are a good mix. Might add some vitamins.

StanV

I’d just mix it up a bit and offer some variety. See if you can get hold of frozen black or white mosquito larvae, brine shrimp or mysis.
All but bloodworms. Those are simply junk food for fish. As some of the peacocks are hybrids with Mbuna, it's best to leave bloodworms out of the mix completely.

So: mosquito larvae, artemia, daphnia, mysis, live or frozen are a good mix. Might add some vitamins.
Is there a website yall get it from or just your LFS?

MacZ

LFS, my own hatchery/cultures (Artemia/baby brine shrimp/copepods) and sometimes the great outdoors. I'd never buy live or frozen food from a website. Chances the cooling chains is broken at some point are too high.

BigBeardDaHuZi

I rotate through several cichlid foods instead of just holding to one. I really like the eXtreme pellets, if you can find them (maybe Amazon?), they don't cloud the water. They also make a krill flake that the fish really go for.
Hikari makes a nice pellet. Ocean One makes a nice brine shrimp flake that is stiff (doesn't crumble too much) that the fish really seem to enjoy. New Life Spectrum is a good one. Northfin Cichlid pellets are very popular.

MacZ

I rotate through several cichlid foods instead of just holding to one. I really like the eXtreme pellets, if you can find them (maybe Amazon?), they don't cloud the water. They also make a krill flake that the fish really go for.
Hikari makes a nice pellet. Ocean One makes a nice brine shrimp flake that is stiff (doesn't crumble too much) that the fish really seem to enjoy. New Life Spectrum is a good one. Northfin Cichlid pellets are very popular.
Beardy, the thread is about frozen foods, not dry foods. ;)

Flyfisha

I have used human grade seafood. I have know idea if what I do has any issues so I thought I would mention it and see what others think.

The supermarket sell a fresh seafood mix.
White fleshed fish and mussels are the main ingredients. I get a mussel and after removing the beard cut it up before working it to a paste in a mortar and pestle. The same with chunks of fish.

My thinking is the human grade food has been handled with better hygiene standards and remained frozen in transportation more likely than how pet food is treated?

The bonus is its a heck of a lot cheaper per 100 grams than pet food.

Thoughts anyone?

GlennO

I have used human grade seafood. I have know idea if what I do has any issues so I thought I would mention it and see what others think.

The supermarket sell a fresh seafood mix.
White fleshed fish and mussels are the main ingredients. I get a mussel and after removing the beard cut it up before working it to a paste in a mortar and pestle. The same with chunks of fish.

My thinking is the human grade food has been handled with better hygiene standards and remained frozen in transportation more likely than how pet food is treated?

The bonus is its a heck of a lot cheaper per 100 grams than pet food.

Thoughts anyone?
I don’t see a problem with that I use all human grade food to make my homemade frozen food mix. Ingredients like a fillet of tuna or salmon, uncooked prawns and a range of vegetables all blended together. That makes up the bulk of my frozen food. The frozen stuff I buy from the LFS like mysis, artemia and bloodworm are just an occasional treat that provide some extra variety.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BVUBeavers
Replies
Views
CarterHeath
Replies
Views
vampireshrimpfan
  • Question
  • americanninja