Best Food for Silverdollars

Discussion in 'Silver Dollar Fish' started by Cody6511, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Cody6511Valued MemberMember

Hi all!

Just wondering what the best food for silverdollars are. I know they are herbivores, and i dont have live plants so what direction should i go here? Maybe some lettuce? Or can i feed them the same flakes and crisps that i do my tetras, and danios?

Thanks! :;hi1

2. peacemaker92

peacemaker92Well Known MemberMember

Some cucumber would be nice or lettuce would just go fine :) You can try all kinds of food to find out what they love.

3. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

You could mix some seaweed and spiriluna in their food as well.

I feed mine tropical flake with spiriluna mixed in. They'll be getting seaweed added to their diet soon, too.

4. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning.

My Silver Dollars love Romaine Lettuce. They get 1 leaf every morning and it's usually devoured in less than 2 hours. They eat the leaf and the rib. Many times I've gone to my tank after feeding them and all I find is the plant weights I use to weight the leaf down. :) (it's my understanding that Ice Berg lettuce has no nutritional value for humans so I don't feed that to my fish either).

They also love the green skin off of zucchini which I feed to my Pleco. They usually dine together :)

Another good food for them is Algae Wafers. It's fun watching them chase each other around the tank for the wafer. No one is ever harmed. The wafer changes from mouth to mouth all the time.
    Ken

5. OP
    OP
    C

Cody6511Valued MemberMember

Thanks for all the info everyone! I'll have to see what they like best :) looks like they'll be dining like kings haha!

6. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

I feed mine a flake food and then actually the marine seaweed you can buy in the fish store (because no one in my house eats lettuce or zuccuni so I don't have any right now but I have a saltwater tank that we feed this as well) then since they're in a tank with cichlids I do also usually give a few cichlids pelets and I've seen one of the three I have go CRAZY for them.

I'm going to have to try some algea wafers soon that sounds just too cute ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice