Best floating plant for betta

Mollieworld

Member
So, I got a plant from a friend, and before I planted it (I wasn't sure where I wanted it and I needed more substrate) I had it floating in the aquarium. Well my betta became accustomed to it and now that I planted it he is glass surfing right where I had it, hes mad it's gone lol. So I need a good easy to grow no CO2 floating plant for him to hang out in/on. I've thought about anacharis but wondering if there is something better? The plant I have circled is his plant, the one that was floating, I have no idea what it's called, but you can see a hint of blue in it...yup that's him. I don't want to have to pull it out to make him happy...please help with suggestions and IDing the plant for me.
 

Sunflower

Member
Lovely tank my friend! I personally love to float water wisteria because it will look really bushy and natural when it fills in :) plus it’s super easy to keep. It’s an invasive weed, so that will give you a clue as to how easy lol
 
  • Thread Starter

Mollieworld

Member
Oh my, I feel silly now, I do have water wisteria in my other tank and never thought about floating it! Thank you for the compliment, I love my plants! Well and my fish too haha.
 

Sunflower

Member
Mollieworld said:
Oh my, I feel silly now, I do have water wisteria in my other tank and never thought about floating it! Thank you for the compliment, I love my plants! Well and my fish too haha.
Haha! No problem! Quick question, what is the feathery background plant? Is it easy to keep and where didn’t you get it?
 

Fish0n

Member
Are the leaves growing on a stem like this? That would make in annubias in which case you shouldn't put it in the substrate as it is a rhysome plant and doesn't do well in substrate. It does better tucked into wood or on decor.
Sorry I can't clearly zoom for some reason.
 
  • Thread Starter

Mollieworld

Member
It's Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus Plant and it's so easy! It actually grows faster and better then my wisteria plant. Those were one solid plant and when I did some rearranging this weekend I split into 2 like you see here. I got it from aquarium coop, I use tabs and easy green fert. It's so fun it's like a feather just floats around, light and airy.

Fish0n said:
Are the leaves growing on a stem like this? That would make in annubias in which case you shouldn't put it in the substrate as it is a rhysome plant and doesn't do well in substrate. It does better tucked into wood or on decor.
Sorry I can't clearly zoom for some reason.
Yes it's on a rhysome I just have the roots planted not the rhyzome part. I do have anubis growing well on the substrate and on my rock as you see in my pic, I didnt realize all rhizome plants were anubis. Thank you!
 

Jimmie93

Member
I'm a big fan of duckweed myself but a lot of people hate it amazon frogbit is also good and easy to control if the population gets out of hand.
 

juniperlea

Member
Mollieworld said:
So, I got a plant from a friend, and before I planted it (I wasn't sure where I wanted it and I needed more substrate) I had it floating in the aquarium. Well my betta became accustomed to it and now that I planted it he is glass surfing right where I had it, hes mad it's gone lol. So I need a good easy to grow no CO2 floating plant for him to hang out in/on. I've thought about anacharis but wondering if there is something better? The plant I have circled is his plant, the one that was floating, I have no idea what it's called, but you can see a hint of blue in it...yup that's him. I don't want to have to pull it out to make him happy...please help with suggestions 16] and IDing the plant for me.
Lovely tank! Re plants, once I ensure they are pest-snail free, I always plop them in the tanks and just let them 'hang out', like teenagers at the mall for a while. The most 'delicate' looking plants are the prettiest floaters. I love Water Wisteria..... only, I've never been able to make it grow in any of my tanks, planted or floating. If only I had a brain, I'd have Water Wisteria!!!!
 

MD_Plants

Member
Jimmie93 said:
I'm a big fan of duckweed myself but a lot of people hate it amazon frogbit is also good and easy to control if the population gets out of hand.
Oh you’re one of those people.... Jk but I love frogbit! My rooms reach the bottom of my 10 gallon and wrap around, a good 14 inches long!!
 

Trenzalore

Member
You can drain the tank to the level that the plant used to float at, and super glue (yes, it's safe link) a piece of driftwood or a clip to the side glass and then attach a new plant to it that has big firm leaves and doesn't need to root like anubias. Or get a tall piece of driftwood/decor and grow a plant from the highest point that the betta can rest on. And/or, as an alternative or addition to a plant that he can float on, get one of those artificial floating betta logs.
 

Sunflower

Member
I must confess I’m also a duckweed person lol
 

MissNoodle

Member
I have hornwort in with my betta boy and he adores it. It melts bad at first so be warned, but it does best floated.
 

juniperlea

Member
MD_Plants said:
Oh you’re one of those people.... Jk but I love frogbit! My rooms reach the bottom of my 10 gallon and wrap around, a good 14 inches long!!
I'm jealous..... I can't get frogbit, water wistera, etc etc to grow at all. They either die or simply don't grow! And, I keep the light on a lot!
 

MissNoodle

Member
juniperlea said:
I'm jealous..... I can't get frogbit, water wistera, etc etc to grow at all. They either die or simply don't grow! And, I keep the light on a lot!
I struggled with it a bit until I added root tabs, then it picked up again
 

juniperlea

Member
Can you just plop the root tabs in the water for the floating plants? I use Seachem Flourish now and then. Maybe I should be more diligent with the Flourish.
 

MissNoodle

Member
juniperlea said:
Can you just plop the root tabs in the water for the floating plants? I use Seachem Flourish now and then. Maybe I should be more diligent with the Flourish.
I don't think so. All my wisteria does best planted and I don't use liquid ferts
 

juniperlea

Member
MissNoodle said:
I don't think so. All my wisteria does best planted and I don't use liquid ferts
Thanks. I'll plant the wisteria and deposit a tab under it.
 

MD_Plants

Member
I can’t get wisteria to grow for the life of me when it’s floating, but it does great for me planted. Never open a root tab into the water, it’ll cause a huge spike in nitrates and probably crash your tank.
 

juniperlea

Member
MD_Plants said:
I can’t get wisteria to grow for the life of me when it’s floating, but it does great for me planted. Never open a root tab into the water, it’ll cause a huge spike in nitrates and probably crash your tank.
The tank I have the wisteria in is a 10 gallon ADF tank (beside the kitchen sink so I can watch them and smile while doing the dishes!!!). I have Fluval Stratum in that tank, which I really like and bought specifically so I could grow some plants. I'll plug the wisteria into the Stratum, and place the opened tab underneath the plant????
 

MD_Plants

Member
What type of tabs are you using? you should never open a tab, as they’re supposed to slowly release contents. if it’s not in a capsule, you can break it up to have lower doses in one area if needed
 
  • Thread Starter

Mollieworld

Member
Trenzalore said:
You can drain the tank to the level that the plant used to float at, and super glue (yes, it's safe link) a piece of driftwood or a clip to the side glass and then attach a new plant to it that has big firm leaves and doesn't need to root like anubias. Or get a tall piece of driftwood/decor and grow a plant from the highest point that the betta can rest on. And/or, as an alternative or addition to a plant that he can float on, get one of those artificial floating betta logs.
He has a log in there, doesn't like it...he loves that plant lol. I may just have to get something similar and let it float
 

Jaykay1stBetta

Member
My betta loves his log but j can't figure out how to keep it from floating to the filter
 
Top Bottom