Best floating plant for betta

Mollieworld

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So, I got a plant from a friend, and before I planted it (I wasn't sure where I wanted it and I needed more substrate) I had it floating in the aquarium. Well my betta became accustomed to it and now that I planted it he is glass surfing right where I had it, hes mad it's gone lol. So I need a good easy to grow no CO2 floating plant for him to hang out in/on. I've thought about anacharis but wondering if there is something better? The plant I have circled is his plant, the one that was floating, I have no idea what it's called, but you can see a hint of blue in it...yup that's him. I dont want to have to pull it out to make him happy...please help with suggestions and IDing the plant for me.

Sunflower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lovely tank my friend! I personally love to float water wisteria because it will look really bushy and natural when it fills in :) plus it’s super easy to keep. It’s an invasive weed, so that will give you a clue as to how easy lol

Mollieworld

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh my, I feel silly now, I do have water wisteria in my other tank and never thought about floating it! Thank you for the compliment, I love my plants! Well and my fish too haha.

Sunflower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mollieworld said:
Oh my, I feel silly now, I do have water wisteria in my other tank and never thought about floating it! Thank you for the compliment, I love my plants! Well and my fish too haha.
Haha! No problem! Quick question, what is the feathery background plant? Is it easy to keep and where didn’t you get it?

Fish0n

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Are the leaves growing on a stem like this? That would make in annubias in which case you shouldn't put it in the substrate as it is a rhysome plant and doesn't do well in substrate. It does better tucked into wood or on decor.
Sorry I can't clearly zoom for some reason.

Mollieworld

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It's Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus Plant and it's so easy! It actually grows faster and better then my wisteria plant. Those were one solid plant and when I did some rearranging this weekend I split into 2 like you see here. I got it from aquarium coop, I use tabs and easy green fert. It's so fun it's like a feather just floats around, light and airy.

Fish0n said:
Are the leaves growing on a stem like this? That would make in annubias in which case you shouldn't put it in the substrate as it is a rhysome plant and doesn't do well in substrate. It does better tucked into wood or on decor.
Sorry I can't clearly zoom for some reason.
Yes it's on a rhysome I just have the roots planted not the rhyzome part. I do have anubis growing well on the substrate and on my rock as you see in my pic, I didnt realize all rhizome plants were anubis. Thank you!

Jimmie93

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm a big fan of duckweed myself but a lot of people hate it amazon frogbit is also good and easy to control if the population gets out of hand.

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mollieworld said:
So, I got a plant from a friend, and before I planted it (I wasn't sure where I wanted it and I needed more substrate) I had it floating in the aquarium. Well my betta became accustomed to it and now that I planted it he is glass surfing right where I had it, hes mad it's gone lol. So I need a good easy to grow no CO2 floating plant for him to hang out in/on. I've thought about anacharis but wondering if there is something better? The plant I have circled is his plant, the one that was floating, I have no idea what it's called, but you can see a hint of blue in it...yup that's him. I dont want to have to pull it out to make him happy...please help with suggestions 16] and IDing the plant for me.
Lovely tank! Re plants, once I ensure they are pest-snail free, I always plop them in the tanks and just let them 'hang out', like teenagers at the mall for a while. The most 'delicate' looking plants are the prettiest floaters. I love Water Wisteria..... only, I've never been able to make it grow in any of my tanks, planted or floating. If only I had a brain, I'd have Water Wisteria!!!!

MD_Plants

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jimmie93 said:
I'm a big fan of duckweed myself but a lot of people hate it amazon frogbit is also good and easy to control if the population gets out of hand.
Oh you’re one of those people.... Jk but i love frogbit! My rooms reach the bottom of my 10 gallon and wrap around, a good 14 inches long!!

Trenzalore

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You can drain the tank to the level that the plant used to float at, and super glue (yes, it's safe link) a piece of driftwood or a clip to the side glass and then attach a new plant to it that has big firm leaves and doesn't need to root like anubias. Or get a tall piece of driftwood/decor and grow a plant from the highest point that the betta can rest on. And/or, as an alternative or addition to a plant that he can float on, get one of those artificial floating betta logs.

Sunflower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I must confess I’m also a duckweed person lol

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have hornwort in with my betta boy and he adores it. It melts bad at first so be warned, but it does best floated.

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
MD_Plants said:
Oh you’re one of those people.... Jk but i love frogbit! My rooms reach the bottom of my 10 gallon and wrap around, a good 14 inches long!!
I'm jealous..... I can't get frogbit, water wistera, etc etc to grow at all. They either die or simply don't grow! And, I keep the light on a lot!

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
juniperlea said:
I'm jealous..... I can't get frogbit, water wistera, etc etc to grow at all. They either die or simply don't grow! And, I keep the light on a lot!
I struggled with it a bit until i added root tabs, then it picked up again

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Can you just plop the root tabs in the water for the floating plants? I use Seachem Flourish now and then. Maybe I should be more diligent with the Flourish.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
juniperlea said:
Can you just plop the root tabs in the water for the floating plants? I use Seachem Flourish now and then. Maybe I should be more diligent with the Flourish.
I don't think so. All my wisteria does best planted and i dont use liquid ferts

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
MissNoodle said:
I don't think so. All my wisteria does best planted and i dont use liquid ferts
Thanks. I'll plant the wisteria and deposit a tab under it.

MD_Plants

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I can’t get wisteria to grow for the life of me when it’s floating, but it does great for me planted. Never open a root tab into the water, it’ll cause a huge spike in nitrates and probably crash your tank.

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
MD_Plants said:
I can’t get wisteria to grow for the life of me when it’s floating, but it does great for me planted. Never open a root tab into the water, it’ll cause a huge spike in nitrates and probably crash your tank.
The tank I have the wisteria in is a 10 gallon ADF tank (beside the kitchen sink so I can watch them and smile while doing the dishes!!!). I have Fluval Stratum in that tank, which I really like and bought specifically so I could grow some plants. I'll plug the wisteria into the Stratum, and place the opened tab underneath the plant????

MD_Plants

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What type of tabs are you using? you should never open a tab, as they’re supposed to slowly release contents. if it’s not in a capsule, you can break it up to have lower doses in one area if needed

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom