Best Fish To Stock In A 29 Gallon

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by xshainax, Apr 5, 2012.

1. xshainax

xshainax Well Known Member Member

What's the best kind of fish that will live long in a 29 gallon freshwater tank?

2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi,

Well it really depends on what you prefer. Do you prefer big schools of fish with one big fish. Or just a couple larger fish that swim around. Do you like planted tanks or nonplanted tanks. Do you want to have a tropical or a temperate aquarium?? Do you want to try slightly aggressive fish, placid fish, or aggressive fish? Personally I think a single Krib, a school of Harlequin Rasboras, and some sort of Loach of Pleco would look good. But a planted tank with a couple of Sparkling Rasboras and a bunch of Neon Tetras and Pygmy corries would also look great.

3. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Methinks you mean sparkling gouramis? ;)

I agree with what you said, though. It depends on what the OP likes. There is a VERY long list of fish that will do very well in a 29gal.

4. CichlidSWAGA

CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

The best fish for you in a 29g is the one you like the best that can be kept in a 29g. I would go with a pair of dwarf cichlids (apisto, rams, kribs etc.) with a school of rummy nose tetras :)

5. OP
    OP
    xshainax

I used to have a whole menagerie of fish but they all died from a mini cycle. :(

6. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Well, they died from the mini cycle, not from being in the 29gal. There is no magic "best fish" for any tank. You pick what you like, see if it's compatible with your tank size and what other fish you like, and then go from there.

Sorry, but it just seems like you're asking us to suggest some "magical" fish to you that won't die in a 29gal no matter WHAT happens to it. Can't help you there.

7. OP
    OP
    xshainax

I am looking for something that could live through them and wont die the moment the water gets a little ammonia in it

8. ivonko

ivonko Valued Member Member

danio, white cloud mountain minnow, tiget barb, platies, snails, shrimp, and swordtails

these are a few pretty hardy tank inhabitants, im new as well but from my research these will survive through quite a bit of accidental punishment

best of luck!

9. RogueAgent94

No fish should have to live in a tank with ammonia in it. Before you consider any type of fish you need to have your tank fully cycled. Then you add fish slowly to avoid mini-cycles. No matter what fish you have, ammonia will harm them. Some fish are hardier than others but that still doesn't meant they are fine with it.
    -sigh- Yes, that's what I meant. Someone said I was getting senile the other day, I'm guessing they were right :giggle:

10. ivonko

ivonko Valued Member Member

agreed, I'm not by any means saying a hardy fish means you can disregard basic knowledge of how to start a tank, starting out with a hardier fish just gives you a slightly bigger buffer in case an accident or oversight does occur.

11. RogueAgent94

True. Some fish, such as otos, are just not beginner fish because they are quite fragile, usually. But at the same time you gotta be careful with all fish. Also the best way to go is a fishless cycle if your tank is not cycled anymore.

12. iRun

iRun Valued Member Member

The cool thing is, a good stocking plan, adequate filtration, and commitment to a reasonable regular maintenance plan and you can have all kinds of cool stuff.

I bet we can help you figure out why you mini-cycled and how to keep it from happening again.

I do a water change every other week and it's all good. Throw in minor once a month filter maintenance and its easy peezy lemon squeezy.

Now the mini-cycle...describe your filter, the stuff inside it, any cleaning or maintenance you've done to it. Anything new or weird that may have caused the cycle problem? Was your ammonia and nitrite ever 0?

Stocking: tons of different tetras and rasboras you could choose from, 2 or 3 schools of the little guys. You could even have a beta with the tetras.

Livebearers, with the understanding your tank will fill up in short order if you have females.

I have forktail rainbows and they are pretty cool, you could also do dwarf neon rainbows.

Avoid: goldfish, Angels, discus, African cichlids, standard Pleco, oscars. Those area few of the fish that are fairly easy to find but have difficult care requirements or will be too big.

Are you interested in anything in particular we could give the thumbs up or down and suggest stocking levels or tankmates.

We want your tank to be RAD! Cheers!

13. p

pprocyg Valued Member Member

I have had very good luck with zebra danios, pristella tetras, platies, and gouramis in my 29 gallon. Zebra danios in particular were darn tough fish. My 5 original survived me cycling with them and a 9 day power outage.

Fish I haven't had luck with are ottos I cannot keep them alive For more than 2 months

14. iRun

+1 on Danios!

15. l

ladygold New Member Member

Currently I have one 3" Oranda Goldfish in my 30G (cycling) tank... But I agree with iRun... Although goldfish are hardy and can survive the cycling process (and are a pleasure to watch!), they make for a lot of work during that cycle -nevermind at the best of times. :p -I have to do significant daily partial water changes (30-50%) in order to keep ammonia levels down because goldfish produce so much extra waste. Honestly, regardless of the fish you decided to get - I would totally recommend you do a fishless cycle. (Oh those dreaded words us "newbies" hate to hear!) But it's no stress; on you OR the fish! :):)

16. Wendy Lubianetsky

Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;hi2I have a 30 gallon that is stocked with Rams. I think they are beautiful and very interesting to watch. So, that is my vote!!:;drum

17. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

i vote for a rubber ducky until you fishless cycle the tank.

18. OP
    OP
    xshainax

The tank is done with the cycle and it cycled because I did a HUGE water change like an idiot all because the water was cloudy. I managed to keep an oto alive for 4 months but he tragically passed away because of it and I lost my clown pleco along with my DG. Now the ammonia is 0% so it the nitrate and the Ph is 6.5. I am thinking of another DG, clown pleco, bristlenose pleco, few mystery snails and some platy's

19. iRun

On the tank profile, you mention a Cory. Corys are super social and you could have a small group (like 4ish). Not trying to beat a dead horse but... still curious about your filter. I've got an albino BN pleco and love him/her!

20. OP
    OP
    xshainax

They died during it too. >.< I don't trust my gravel substrate. The filter is a basic Top fin hanging filter with charcoal filter cartridges.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice