Best Fish To Eat Algae In Angelfish Tank?

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by Kellene, Apr 8, 2017.

1. KelleneNew MemberMember

I have a 45 gallon tank with one (young) angelfish, five emperor tetras, and 5 peppered Cories. The temperature stays around 24 C (75 F). There's starting to be a small algae problem.
    My go-to would be a group of little otos, but I've heard that angels like to munch on them when they get older. Would a small species of pleco be better? I'm not a fan of bristlenose. I think the clown pleco is gorgeous, but they mostly eat wood (which I do not have in the tank as of now). What about rubber lip?
    The foods I currently have available are little veggie/algae disks and vegetables, but I plan on finding a larger variety. Does anyone have any suggestions about species/diet of plecos? Thanks!

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You have some stocking issues, if you'd like to discuss them :)

You are the best at preventing and controlling algae. It's not a good idea to get a fish to clean the algae. They're a band-aid, and won't fix the issue.

Algae is caused by an imbalance of ferts, lighting, and CO2. I'm guessing your lighting is on for too long. If you can shorten it and remove the algae now (and do some water changes), you can prevent it from growing in the future!

Can you take a pic of your algae?

3. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Agree with the above!

Fish are not the best to use for eating algae! I suggest you get nerite snails, however as mentioned you are the best solution for controlling and preventing algae.

4. OP
    OP
    K

KelleneNew MemberMember

Stocking issues? Yes, please. I spent hours researching fish and I would like to know what I missed lol

The algae isn't *that* bad yet. It just doesn't look very nice. There's some on the front and on the plants, but the most is on the back. 8b93de7a63d38b94998ffa1a7565cba3.jpg
    I guess I will be scraping it off myself from now on! In case you were wondering, I do a 25% water change every week. I DO leave the light on a lot...oops. I have a several live plants, but I still leave the light on too long.
    Thanks so much for the fast replies!

Is it the peppered corydoras? Is 75 too warm for them?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  5. TexasDomer

Peppered cories should be in cooler temps (72 F and below). Angelfish should be in warmer temps. Emperor tetras should be in a larger group, but an adult angel might be able to eat them.

6. OP
    OP
    K

KelleneNew MemberMember

Thanks! I guess will be moving the cories to a 20 gallon at the other end of the house. I believe it stays cooler there. I'm looking into getting a heater soon for the angel/emperor tank.
    I went and picked up two more female emperors today, actually! Lol. I will add to the school in the future. I don't think they will be able to be eaten...I don't see any physical way they could fit into an angel's mouth, but I could be wrong. I guess a small female could be a snack...
    Thanks so much for your help! I greatly appreciate it, and my cories thank you! :)

7. Redshark1

Redshark1Well Known MemberMember

I've found that if I can get the fast-growing plants flourishing then they out-compete the algae and I only have to wipe the front glass.

I'd put the lights on a timer to restrict the photo-period to 8-10 hours.

I havent found any need to fertilise easy low-light plants but I have found that even these need a decent amount of light, often more than is supplied by the standard lighting. I've found it fairly easy to add more lights where necessary.

Also, I've found that any normal light will do. You can get more technical as you progress, it's best to keep things simple to start off with.

8. OP
    OP
    K

KelleneNew MemberMember

Thank you very much for your advice! My light typically stays on quite a bit longer than that, oops! I'm not sure about the exact light I have, but it is full-spectrum. I will further research my plants' lighting requirements so maybe they will take off and out-compete some of the algae :)

9. TexasDomer

My adult angel ate adult glowlight tetras, and they're the same size as your emperor tetras. Just a warning, it can happen. Your angelfish looks small now because it's young; it'll get much larger and be able to eat larger fish. My adult angel was huge, so it's no surprise he was able to eat adult schooling fish.

10. Kasshan

KasshanWell Known MemberMember

i use moss and duckweed to outcompete algae in my tanks and use up excess ferts. then after a week i just toss the excess.

11. OP
    OP
    K

KelleneNew MemberMember

Thanks for letting me know the risks! Everywhere I looked said that emperor tetras were too large to be eaten by adult angels. My LFS had adult angels, and their mouths still don't seem big enough to devour an adult emperor. I will definitely research some more, though.

Thanks! Is there a specific type of moss that you use?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  12. Kasshan

KasshanWell Known MemberMember

java moss. and i keep neons and rasbora het. with full grown Angels and still i am sure that no healthy neon has been eaten. i use the carrot and stick method

13. the shaka shark

the shaka sharkNew MemberMember

What about otos they eat algae their entire lives and stay only about an inch

14. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Otos need cooler water than angels and angels would probably eat otos

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice