Best fish to complement Pearl Gourami?

Sweetsassy

So at my school, we have an amazing ichthyology club and I have been given the opportunity to set up a pearl gourami tank and eventually try breeding them. I would like to set up a heavily planted tank with lots of hardscapes (I believe the tank will be 30-40gal). I want to add some fish that will complement the colors of the gourami pair but also be compatible with them. I really just want to get down a list of possible tank mates to sort through for when I can actually get the fish. For the pearl gourami's, I also wasn't sure whether it would be best to get 1 male and 1 female or if it would be a better idea to get 2 or 3 females for 1 male. I don't want to overstock the tank of course, but any ideas of fish that would be good in a community setting and complement these fish would be highly appreciated!

MacZ

Rasboras, smaller barbs, smaller loaches.

One species of the former two plus one of the latter. Classic would be a species each of Trigonostigma and Pangio.

DoubleDutch

There are an incredible amount of fish suitable as long as you stay away from Tigerbarbs a.s.o.

Mine are in with Hatchets, Lemon Tetras Corys Kuhlis, Otos.

But maybe you'd ljke to stay in the "Asian-corner"

MacZ

at my school, we have an amazing ichthyology club
Considering that, this:
would be a good idea. Because otherwise it would be less Ichthyology and more Aquaculture.

Just another argument for a biotope orientation... :rolleyes:

DoubleDutch

Considering that, this:

would be a good idea. Because otherwise it would be less Ichthyology and more Aquaculture.

Just another argument for a biotope orientation... :rolleyes:
Agree !

Redshark1

Might be difficult to breed with other fish in the tank.

DoubleDutch

Told mine this but they didn't listen hahaha

MacZ

Told mine this but they didn't listen hahaha
Breeding is one thing and can also happen with other fish in the tank. The decisive thing is: "successful", i.e. the fry survive until adulthood. And that's definitely questionable in a tank with tetras, DD.

DoubleDutch

Breeding is one thing and can also happen with other fish in the tank. The decisive thing is: "successful", i.e. the fry survive until adulthood. And that's definitely questionable in a tank with tetras, DD.
True but to be honest I never expected Pearls to breed in a communitytank.
The male takes care the Lemon Tetras, Hatchet fish and Spiny eels won't enter the far left side of the tank hahaha.

CryoraptorA303

I misread the title as 'betta fish to complement pearl gourami' and nearly had a heart attack :D

Pearl gouramis are meant to be a lot less temperamental than dwarfs so I'd imagine any fish not small enough to fit in their mouths would do fine with them. If you're going for the Asian aesthetic, rasboras are probably a good shout. Barbs as well as long as they won't be too nippy with the pearls.

kallililly1973

We had serpae and Vonrio tetras with our Pearl when he was alive and he remained king of the tank wit no aggression from him or towards him. Possibly another option. Our tank was and still is a 55. But sadly no Gourami :(

Sb092

I have 6 glass catfish, two african butterfly fish, one rope fish, one elephant nose fish, and one leopard bush fish (in the gourami family) in with 3 pearl gourami. They all live pretty good together, with the exception of the leopard, he bullies the pearls. I am not sure what the sex of the pearls are yet, because it’s hard to sex them when they are young. One is definitely developing the fin structure of a male, but the other two are not quite big enough to sex yet. I am not saying to go out a get the fish I listed, just sharing the stocking of my tank.

ProudPapa

I have serpae tetras, pristella tetras, Corydoras trillineatus, and two pea puffers with the fourteen pearl gouramis in my 40 gallon breeder tank. No issues so far.

Sweetsassy

When they’re ready to breed I would put them into a breeding tank to make sure the babies survive. But I still have a lot of research to do.
There are an incredible amount of fish suitable as long as you stay away from Tigerbarbs a.s.o.

Mine are in with Hatchets, Lemon Tetras Corys Kuhlis, Otos.

I don’t know many Asian species, but do you have any species suggestions? I really like that idea of having an “Asian” tank since we already have an Amazon tank
I have serpae tetras, pristella tetras, Corydoras trillineatus, and two pea puffers with the fourteen pearl gouramis in my 40 gallon breeder tank. No issues so far.
I am surprised that you have pea puffers in there only because I’ve never heard of that pairing. I’m glad it works for you! I absolutely love pea puffers

ProudPapa

I am surprised that you have pea puffers in there only because I’ve never heard of that pairing. I’m glad it works for you! I absolutely love pea puffers

Someone gave them to me, and I didn't have any other place to put them. They've been in there since last June with no issues.

Sweetsassy

Someone gave them to me, and I didn't have any other place to put them. They've been in there since last June with no issues.
That's so cool! It must really depend on the individual temperaments of those pea puffers too. Mine are in with some cherry shrimp and don't bother them at all. Pea puffers are either super docile or super mean in my experience haha.
Would Killifish be okay with pearls? I am seeing some places say it's okay, and some say it's not. I don't have any experience with killifish and don't know what their temperaments are like.

ProudPapa

. . . Would Killifish be okay with pearls? I am seeing some places say it's okay, and some say it's not. I don't have any experience with killifish and don't know what their temperaments are like.

I don't have any experience with them either, so I'm afraid I can't help. Hopefully someone else will.

Ellebrius

MacZ When I set up my first tank (40 gallons) I wanted Angels but I had no idea what I was doing. MacZ set me straight on that and suggested pearl gouramis instead, together with rummynose tetras, a couple of Bolivian Rams and panda corys.
I followed his advice and I couldn’t be happier with my stocking. I must say the Bolivian rams stole my heart, I ended up with two females with so much personality I can just sit there and watch them and also (I can already hear crazy fish lady comments, lol) communicate with them. I don’t feel that connection with any of the other fish.

MacZ

MacZ When I set up my first tank (40 gallons) I wanted Angels but I had no idea what I was doing. MacZ set me straight on that and suggested pearl gouramis instead, together with rummynose tetras, a couple of Bolivian Rams and panda corys.
I followed his advice and I couldn’t be happier with my stocking. I must say the Bolivian rams stole my heart, I ended up with two females with so much personality I can just sit there and watch them and also (I can already hear crazy fish lady comments, lol) communicate with them. I don’t feel that connection with any of the other fish.
Glad you're happy and it worked. Here in this case I wouldn't as they already have a South American tank, that would be just doubling everything.

don’t know many Asian species, but do you have any species suggestions? I really like that idea of having an “Asian” tank since we already have an Amazon tank
For an actual asian theme I already recommended Trigonostigma (harlequin or lambchop rasboras) and Pangio (kuhli loaches) here in this thread.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Thunder_o_b
  • Question
Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
  • Question
Replies
Views
Dan1984