Best Fish to Clean Plants?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by JChurch12, Jul 3, 2016.

1. JChurch12New MemberMember

I have a 5g, 20g, and 50g tank that I'm going to put live plants into. What would be the best fish or invertebrate to help keep algae down and plants clean?
    Thanks

2. TeishokueWell Known MemberMember

nothing, what you want is a good cycle

3. OP
    OP
    J

JChurch12New MemberMember

I do a water change once a week and I have a filter rated for a 35 gallon, should that keep them pretty healthy?

4. TeishokueWell Known MemberMember

plants dont require much. just nutrients, water and light.

what you want is good lighting and good nutrients. i suggest you reading up on your city's water param. then your substrate. after that start with 3-4 hours of light and adjust as weeks come by. if plants stem up higher. add 1 hour. if plants turn red. reduce by 2 hours.

maintaining lights and nutrients is the main focus.

5. AlphonsusWell Known MemberMember

for the 5 and 10 you should get either nerite snails or amano shrimp depending on the stock. Amano shrimps are one of the bigger shrimps and are find with bettas when they get to a decent size. For your 20 gallon you could either go with the nerite and amano shrimps or you can get 3 otocinulus. However otocinculus are sensitive to new environment at first. You would also have to buy supplements such as algae wafers unless you have a lot of algae constantly or growing it (LOL).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice