Best Fish Tank Filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Mei Lin, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Mei LinNew MemberMember

I need a recommendation or two : which fish tank filter is the best out there? Thank you!

2. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Well depends, what is this filter being used for in the tank? Plants, what type of fish? How big? Personally i like sponge filters for my bettas and the Aquaclear for other fish.

3. CloudTheFluffyValued MemberMember

Aquaclear filters are my favourite there room for extra filtration is good and I like the price.

4. Mei LinNew MemberMember

Well I don't have a fish yet but I want to get either a Cichlid or a Betta, so I just need a filter that does it all. Thanks everyone!

5. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Greetings and welcome to Fishlore :)

That is a Chevy or Ford question. Myself, I only use Marineland filters.

6. Mei LinNew MemberMember

Thank you for the tip, I'll definitely look into getting one of those!

7. DaleMWell Known MemberMember

Do you want HOB, internal or canister? It's a question where everyone will have their own opinion though
    Also need to consider tank size, bioload, maintenance, access to spare parts, etc

8. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

For bettas i suggest sponge filters as they are gentle on their long fins.

9. DaleMWell Known MemberMember

Cichlids need a lot bigger tanks than Bettas, so if your tank is only small go with the Betta. In which case sponge filter connected to an air pump is a great filter for a Betta tank as suggested

10. HaileStormValued MemberMember

I have a betta in my 23g community tank but he was alone in it for quite awhile. Since I bought the tank, I've used a Tidal 55 on it.

Been working flawlessly ever since. It has 3 intakes:
    1. Surface skimmer
    2. Mid-level intake
    3. Bottom intake pipe

There's also actually a fourth intake on the left side where the heater holder slides in.

Make sure to read up on gph requirements depending on what tank size you get.

11. Mei LinNew MemberMember

Thank you all! :cat:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice