Best Fish For College Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by MaximumRide14, Apr 16, 2018.

1. MaximumRide14

MaximumRide14 Well Known Member Member

Hi! In a couple of years I will be going to college. I am curious as to what people may think is the best fish for college. I believe that most colleges only allow ten gallon tanks. I would definitely get a ten gallon, and most likely have a sponge filter. I guess a betta might be the best option, but I’m want to hear advice and opinions from others. This tank would probably have to not have much maintenance. Maybe 20-30% changes weekly. I also don’t know how different water on campus would be. Would Prime take care of all that? I use API water conditioner because my water is very good where I live.
    Also don’t worry about the age in my profile lol, I’m not allowed to put my actual age lol.
    Thanks! :)

2. lilabug4545

lilabug4545 Well Known Member Member

Personally, I'm interested in this as well. I've done research, and I think the best idea would be to rent a house, and keep the tanks there.

3. x

xloe Valued Member Member

You could do a 10 gal with shrimp and a small school of rasboras or ember tetras. I have this and it is very low maintenance.
    Add snails if you like them.

4. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Then you have to think about what to do when Winter break comes around and your generally off for a month and a half. To catch the fish, haul it home, set it up and than do it all again...that's just tough work. We get college students that ask this all the time. What do I do? How do I do this...

My recommendation is...not to get a tank at school. It takes too much space...plus you'll be doing other stuff as a college student, studying, gaining the ole freshman 15, hanging out with friends and on other occasions looking at cute people.

5. OP
    OP
    MaximumRide14

If only I could rent a house.. unfortunately I don’t think that’s an option lol. Trying to save money for vet school lol

6. Galathiel

Galathiel Well Known Member Member

What are your plans for breaks/vacations? If you are going to take the fish with you, then a betta is probably the best bet. You could do a really nice planted tank that your betta would love. If your betta isn't aggressive (I have one that isn't), then you could try ghost shrimp (a couple) with him.

I would consider 3 platies, or 4-5 male guppies, or 4-5 male endlers, or even dario darios, but I think it would be too difficult to be transporting them back and forth.

7. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

Don't get a tank for first year! Once youre done first year, then you can consider it. Moving it into res, and then out at the end of semester, and then back in, and back out... not worth it.

8. Cander

Cander Valued Member Member

I’ve a friend who is in his 2nd year of college who has a ten gallon guppy tank that looks very neat.

9. OP
    OP
    MaximumRide14

True.. it probably gets difficult especially if I’m out of state. And I’ll probably be around lots of animals anyway if I’m in vet school.

10. OP
    OP
    MaximumRide14

I guess if I was out of state then I would have to fly back to where I was from, it might be difficult to get on a plane with a fish.. I guess if you are moving far away then it will get harder over breaks.

11. Poseiden

Poseiden New Member Member

Everyone I knew in college that had fish outside of a betta had off campus housing year round. Good 10 gallon nano: neon tetras, plants and freshwater shrimp.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice