Best fish for a 10-15 gallon tank? Question 

Heynow

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello everyone, I have just decided to get into the hobby. I have not purchased a tank yet, but I am considering to get a 10 or 15 gallon tank. I would prefer to get a 15 gallon, but I am not sure if they sell those with a kit, if not I will be purchasing a 10 gallon kit.

I wanted to get a small school of 5 Neon Tetra and 1-2 ghost shrimp, but not sure what other fish maybe go with the Tetra. Id prefer to get another fish that is about 2-3 inches, could anyone recommend any fish about that size? I was considering either a dwarf gourami or some type of barb. Any ideas would be much helpful!

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
you could maybe add a cory cat or two since they are bottom dwellers and the tetras are more middle to upper area of the aquarium, IMO the dwarf gourami would be too aggressive in such a small tank

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
the dwarf gourami would be better. Barbs need to be in schools most of the time. Since you don't have the tank yet, I would recommend getting the largest one you can afford and have room for. If you can swing a 20 gallon, i would get that. It will be easier to take care of (the larger the easier a tank is to take care of, seems like it would be opposite, but it isn't). A 10 gallon will really limit your stocking options. 5 neon tetras and a dwarf gourami would probably work, but it may be a little over stocked for 10 gallons.

Heynow

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for all for the quick responses. I am considering the 20 gallon tank as long as if the length of the tank is under 30 inches and comes in a kit. There are just so many fish to choose from, I just want to make the right choice so all the fish can interact with each other without getting hostile.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That's right, the bigger the better in so many ways

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I believe that petsmart carries a 20 gallon combo, and I know that the length of the tank in the kit (if they have it) is 24 1/4 inches.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just thought about this, I see your aquarium info says you know about the nitrogen cycle, but since you are a new member and haven't started your first tank yet, I thought I'd provide a link to a good article on the nitrogen cycle and fishless cycling for you.
https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Heynow

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you for the article, I love this site everyone is so helpful. I will be going to the local fish store this weekend to see what kind of tanks are available. I was wondering how many water changes are needed per month for the fish i listed?

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I try to stick with one every week, but sometime push it to two weeks. Another big factor will be the filter that you use. The ones that come in the kits generally aren't the greatest (thought there are some kits that include very good filters). The better the filter, the less critical weekly water changes are, but i still wouldn't go more than 2 weeks without one.

kel1216

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The 20 gallon tank has two types the 20 gallon high and 20 gallon long
here are the dimentions HxWxH
20 gallon High 24" x 12" x 16"
20 gallon Long 30" x 12" x 12"
both 225 lbs weight when full.

hope this helps.
mike.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
kel1216 said:
better choose the right filter depending on your substrate.
if its a sand i don't recommend undergravel filter cause sand is too fine and it will only clog the filter.
there are other types of filter aside from that.

mike
I don't recommend an under gravel filter for any tank, sand or not. They are inefficient and extremely messy. They also require very consistent maintenance or they stop working entirely and you can lose all your fish.

mktany

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I started with a 10 gallon tank, 6 guppies (3 added after the cycle and 3 more 1.5 weeks later) and an oto and boy was that hard to keep clean. Even when I moved 3 of the guppies (they started fighting) I was cleaning it daily.

It is now my quarantine tank and all my fish are in 65 gallons and bigger and don't fight at all. Think about investing in if you get a bigger aquarium, it will make water changes soooo much easier.

As to water changes, I check the NH3; NH4; NO3 and NO2 levels, if they start spiking I will do water changes till they settle down otherwise I'll change it once every 1.5 weeks. It can vary so much deepening on how often you feed the fish, what filters you have and what kind of fish you have that it's better to check the levels. The test strips are useless and so are the live meters at petsmart. Mine worked for a week and then started reporting the levels toxic when they clearly weren't (according to the drop test kit).

I've had good luck buying tanks on craiglist, I get all my tanks from there, filters and decorations for very cheap and they are great buys! I saw a 29 gallon with stand, hood, light, filter, tank for $50 bucks. It's defiantly worth looking into!

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I second the craigslist idea! I started a thread where people can post there awesome craigslist deals, you will be able to see that you get way better prices than at the pet store.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
if available, id go for Red Cherry Shrimp as they are red but the male are also clear (although not transparent)

Heynow

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I did see a couple of good deals on 20 gallon aquariums on craigslist, but the problem is most of the people are way to far. I will give everyone an update on what kind of tank i will be getting. I appreciate everyones help!

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
OK, my pleasure.
Try to post us some pics of how it is going..

Amano

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Since length is the problem what about width?
I am a huge fan of making your own tank and stands. Or finding a stand which can fit the purpose. Then you can maximize more gallons in a small space.

If that is not a option make sure to get a tank that can be modified with filtration. A lot of the times the ones with inbuilt filters are a waste of time and need to be ripped out.:;bb

Re the under-gravel filter. They are a waster of time considering the gear that is available now days, not to mention more noisy than anything I know.

mac

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads