Best fish food?

1. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

What do you guys think is the best fish food. I've heard about Omega One and New Life Spectrum being really good. I'm thinking of getting some new fish food that will be healthy for my fish. What do you his think?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Well, it depends on what kind of fish you're trying to feed.

For instance, I LOVE New Life Spectrum for my goldfish and, in general, think it's an excellent food. So I bought NLS Betta for my betta and I noticed the pellets looked really large. Ultimately, the size exacerbated constipation issues. Interesting, the NLS Betta is labelled as 1mm pellets. I feed my goldfish NLS Thera A 1mm. The betta pellets are WAY bigger than the Thera A. So I wouldn't feed NLS to my betta, just because of the size.

Another well-respected food out there is Ken's Premium Fish Foods. I haven't used it myself but have heard only good things about it.

3. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Okay thanks for the info. I have community fish mostly tetras, platies and a few guppies

4. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

I would go with NLS, Omega One or Ken's. I have not tried either of the last two but the reputation around here is rock solid. From there, it's just a matter of your fish's tastes. Do remember that while a staple pellet or flake is important, so is variety!

Also, many of us around here add Vitachem and garlic guard or just garlic juice to our fish foods :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Kens has some good quality stuff but check the ingredients, he carries some very economy grade (think bulk feed) type stuff as well as higher end.

6. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Thanks. Yes I do agree that it also depends if my fish like it. I'll probably go with NLS

7. WiFi Well Known Member Member

I second the NLS, I use it for my African Cichlids and it seems to be a pretty premium food. Never had any problems with them bloating from it and it doesn't cloud the water. Its easily digestible most of their foods are made from krill, so its natural too.

8. amdpayne Member Member

My neons enjoyed Omega One, though I usually mixed it with various other things. My betta won't eat pellets, but adores Omega One flakes!

9. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

My fish love flakes. Does NLS carry flake food or just pellets?

10. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Honestly I cannot find if they do offer flakes for Freshwater fish. I used to feed my African Cichlids flakes until they started bloating up a lot. Switched to NLS Cichlid Formula, the pellets are halfways floating, slow sinking. But, the food is really small, smaller than betta pellets and my African Fry have no problem eating the small fish formula.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+7927+4383&pcatid=4383&r=143

11. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Okay. I was just wondering if they have flakes because my fish love flakes

12. WiFi Well Known Member Member

You might be surprised about how they take to the change! Mine were used to flakes, and never really liked Hakari Pellets. As soon as they got NLS, they went just crazy for it! Hope it helps if you do change! I still do use flakes for my community tank, but as soon as they run out I am getting them NLS too!

13. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Okay thanks. I'm gonna change to NLS.

14. WiFi Well Known Member Member

I think that would be a good idea, are you almost out of your other food.

15. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Well not really. I would say I still have half of the bottle left.

16. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Ok, maybe order in the NLS if thats what your getting, and supplement it a couple times a week to get them used to it, that way you don't just have to toss the old food and waste money.

17. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Yes I will do that. My fish will then get used to the new fish food.

18. Paul1792 Member Member

Based on recommendations in this forum, I switched to NLS about 10 months ago and the fish absolutely love it. I am about to reorder from amazon and get the same thing:

1) NLS freshwater color enhancing flakes with garlic
    2) NLS small fish forumula 0.5mm sinking pellets .... I get them for rasboras and neons but all the fish seem to love them ..... expecially the corys and the dojo loaches.

I also feed frozen Hikari brine shrimp once a week.

Fish are healthy, vibrant colors, and no waste !!!!!!!

19. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the info. I will order some NLS from amazon soon. How many grams do you order?

20. Paul1792 Member Member

Flakes: 90 grams

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002E7KT8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3O88P8V9WW2SX

0.5 mm pellets:

currently I have the 140 gram size. However, I am ordering the 275 gram size because of terrible amazon pricing on small size due to different supplier.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002E7J94/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2XW1TE6X31CXN

Both of my current containers last about a year feeding about 60 fish in two tanks. (See my profile for list of fish)

Flakes ordered last year are good to June 2016 per date stamped on lid. Pellets expire June 2015.