Best Fin Rot Treatment/medication?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by michelle95, Jul 16, 2019.

1. michelle95

michelle95Valued MemberMember

For moderate/bad fin rot, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

99% of time, the best medicine is just good water quality and time.

If its really bad, an anti-bacterial medication might help, but hopefully you've caught it early.

3. OP
    OP
    michelle95

Yes of course, but it isn't working in that case. Any suggestions for which medication would be best?

4. fjh

Melafix comes to mind. I've only used it once before on an angelfish but it worked pretty well.
    Not sure what fish you are treating, but if he/she has a labyrinth organ (bettas, gouramis, etc) then use something else, like maracyn 1 or 2. If it is really severe, you might start off with a salt bath as well.

In all honesty though, almost any fin rot can be cured with good water conditions. It is also a lot cheaper to do 50% daily WCs than to buy medication.

5. OP
    OP
    michelle95

I have a betta so Melafix is a no.

6. fjh

If you have any anti-bacterials from previous treatments, just use those then.
    Could you post a picture of the betta?

7. Drav

DravValued MemberMember

i used furan-2 for the finrot on our betta and it worked wonders. its a powder antibiotic so it should kill off any infection on your fish's fins. be sure to remove your bio media first, it will kill your cycle if you dont. melafix is another alternative, that i know of the actual oils are processed out, so it shouldnt harm your betta. the problem with it is it has very mixed results, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. and it only really works on very minor infections.

8. AgahBey

AgahBeyNew MemberMember

I'm no expert, but I've had the same issue with my betta and the medications I've tried never worked. Except hydrogen peroxide.

Here is how to do the treatment:
    Purchase hydrogen peroxide from your pharmacy.

Take your betta out of the tank. Put him on a damp tissue or your wet hand. Cover his face with your finger (without touching him) or with tissue, this is to calm him down, or else, he will try to jump. Since he can breath out of air, he will be okay. Hydrogen peroxide will kill the bacteria without causing him any harm.

Apply hydrogen peroxide with a clean brush (a new, never used watercolor brush can be purchased) on his affected fins on both sides. You can put him in the tank after the application.

Hydrogen peroxide is not harmful for the tank too, but it doesn't work as a treatment if you add it into the tank. It decomposes into oxygen gas in the water. And it is added to the water when transporting fishes to provide more oxygen.

Then, wait for him to get better. He will be treated fully in a month, the areas you applied hydrogen peroxide may change colours, it's normal. Do not apply the treatment again if it doesn't seem to be necessary. Keeping him out of the tank and applying medicine causes stress.

Good luck!

9. NoodleKeeper

NoodleKeeperValued MemberMember

Ive used API Primafix with good results, even with a betta in the tank (currently undergoing treatment with it for my betta ironically). Its safe for sensitive fish like scaleless fish and cories too. Maybe something that could help.

Aquarium salt is also good, a dip in a salt bath can really help--but dont add to the tank, especially if you have cories or scaleless fish... salt isnt good for them.