Best Fin Rot Medication

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by ComradeM, Jun 25, 2018.

1. C

ComradeM New Member Member

My poor Betta Fish has fin rot. What are the best medications?
    Thanks!

2. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

Depends on how serious it is, and what conditions you’re keeping your fish in.
    Can u post pics?
    Fin rot is generally seen as being symptomatic of poor water quality. So if you do successfully cure the fin rot that your betta currently has, unless you change or improve its environment, chances are it’ll come back.
    That said, your treatment options include true medications (eg antibiotics), or nonmedicinal treatments. Having read up on this forum and elsewhere in the recent past, most members advocate the nonmedicinal treatments first. These include frequent water changes (usually daily), salt baths in some cases, excellent diet, and natural anti-microbial additives in your tank (eg almond leaves).
    Most folks here who are in the know will adamantly steer you away from Melafix or Bettafix, which apparently interfere with the function of betta fish’s labrinth organ.

3. OP
    OP
    C

Thanks so much. My tank is at work. Well, the problematic one, anyway so I cannot post pics at the moment, but tomorrow I can. I’ve heard Melafix is dangerous to Bettas, so I stay away from that. My Betta was fine before I went to a week long work conference. I came back today, and was quite saddened. I immediately changed his water, and put salt in there.

4. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

IMO, clean water is the best medicine for all fish.

5. OP
    OP
    C

I’ve uploaded a pic

Attached Files:

6. Ari840

Ari840 Valued Member Member

Oohhh what a pretty fishy I started seeing the beginnings of fin rot in my Filapè last week and I immediately did a 40% water change. Every 2-3 days I’ve been doing 30% water changes. Fin rot progresses quickly. I have not noticed any further damage to my Filapè’s fins. I would recommend just good old clean water!! I hope that helps

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice