1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Best Filters?

1. Livinginafoxglove

Livinginafoxglove New Member Member

So im going to be in the market here soon for a 20gal filter and possibly new 40 gal as well and was wanting to know what brand or specific model would be best. 20gal is for peaceful community (livebearers, coreys, dwarf gouramis, ect) and the 40gal is smaller south/central american cichlids.

2. MongooseALaMode

MongooseALaMode Well Known Member Member

The ones I have a Fluval Aquaclear and I really like them. They have adjustable flow

Advertisement

3. tocandesu

tocandesu Well Known Member Member

An Aquaclear 30 or 50 would work really well for the 20 gal.

For the 40 gal, you could go with a canister or a HOB. I recommend running two filters. You could get a Aquaclear 50 or 70 and then a canister like the SunSun HW-302 or HW-303. An alternative to an Aquaclear would be the new Seachem Tidal filters.

Advertisement

4. Emtbreid

Emtbreid Valued Member Member

+1 on the aquaclears. Canisters in a HOB version. Or, you could go canister if you wanted. Petco has fluval canisters 15% off right now.... near me anyway !

5. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

6. Emtbreid

I had one of those on my 10 when I first started. It was nice for what it was, but when having some sort of biomax is needed, you can't beat the aquaclears.... canister performance in a HOB design.

7. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Aquaclears are great in performance. They aren't silent or even quient, but if you want to have a tank in your bedroom, it's as quiet as HOB motors get.

8. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

I'm moving everything to having sponge filters on my tanks with the HOB filters as backups. That way I have the sponges on battery backup and the tank can't ever crash in a no electricity environment or when I eventually just have to change the filter cartridges. It will happen eventually since mine is starting to rip a bit. I love sponge filters and they work SO WELL.

9. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

Aquaclears are hard to beat, I have had Fluval canisters as well. They are very reliable and quiet, although a bit pricey.

10. Emtbreid

I've used aquaclears for the last year, can't be beat. Just upgraded to a fluval 306 canister a few days ago.