Best Filters for Aquascaping

PlantedTankFun
Hello Everyone!
I am looking to make a bigger investment into my filtration system. My current filter is the type that just sits over the edge, it's old, loud, and ugly.

According to my research, it appears that exterior canister filters are recommended for planted tanks, but I wanted to get all of your thoughts! If they indeed are the best, what brands do you all recommend? My tank is a 20 gallon tall and I am heavily planting it. The only inhabitants are celestial pearl danios and potentially shrimp down the line.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing suggestions!

Betta'sAnonymous
Really just depends. Often times i like to incorporate sponge filters into the design to hide them.

AggressiveAquatics
I really enjoy canister filters. You can aqua scape anything you want without them being in the way and they are really quiet. I recommend fluval, I currently use the fx4 and fx6 but they have less expensive types for smaller tanks

AcornTheBetta
PlantedTankFun said:
Hello Everyone!
I am looking to make a bigger investment into my filtration system. My current filter is the type that just sits over the edge, it's old, loud, and ugly.

According to my research, it appears that exterior canister filters are recommended for planted tanks, but I wanted to get all of your thoughts! If they indeed are the best, what brands do you all recommend? My tank is a 20 gallon tall and I am heavily planting it. The only inhabitants are celestial pearl danios and potentially shrimp down the line.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing suggestions!
You could try a Fluval 107, which maybe a bit overkill, but it's a really great filter.

AggressiveAquatics
AcornTheBetta said:
You could try a Fluval 107, which maybe a bit overkill, but it's a really great filter.
No such thing lol. (Says the guy with a fx6 and two sponge filters rated for 100 gallons in a 75)

SotaAquatics
Fully agree with AggressiveAquatics here. I used a fluval 207 on a 20 gallon long, you can adjust the flow so its not maxed out. Only issue with fluvals are the ribbed hosing, you will have to replace it if you want to run things inline like a CO2 reactor or inline diffuser.

SnookusFish
The oase thermo range is great because they have the heaters built into them and are really user friendly, means no heater needed in the tank. They are a bit pricey but worth it and are what all the top aquascapers use

InkyTulips
Controversial opinion here, but I'm in love with my UGF with powerheads in my planted tank. I use micro-gravel as a substrate, and its deep enough that the with UGF and plants there's a good root system and plenty of filtration. It's basically silent, all sits neatly within the tank itself, costs practically nothing to run, and set up was the easiest thing I've ever done in a tank. Plus, because UGF isn't particularly popular or fashionable amongst fishkeepers, the whole system tends to be fairly cheap to buy!

Latest threads

Top Bottom