Best Filters For A 5 Gallon?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by guppylover228, Apr 13, 2017.

1. guppylover228

guppylover228 Valued Member Member

I want to make a pea puffer tank out of my bettas old tank. The only thing Is it has been filterless for the time I've had it so I would like to get one that has a strong enough filter to keep up with pea puffer waste. Also one that is very quiet as the tank sits on my head board

2. C

Chaory Valued Member Member

For a 5 gallon, I personally will use a small sponge filter or even though I'm against using these, undergravel filter. If using an undergravel filter, make sure to take out the undergravel filter bed once a month, and clean it with tank water.

3. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

I love aquaclears, and they do sell a model that is rated for 5-20 gallons, if it fits I would check into that, they are quiet as well, as with any HOB style you will have the noise from the water spilling over into the tanks. If you wanted to go even more silent you could look into something like a Fluval 106 canister. You could maybe even have the filter further away, and you can have the outlet under the surface for extra silence :) My only concern there would be current from the output, but you could put a baffle on the output, or you can operate those filters with the valve restricted up to 50% I believe. If you want to explore that route I would see if you can find someone on here that has one - I know there are a few users I have seen mention them on small beta tanks :)

4. ashenwelt

ashenwelt Well Known Member Member

I would use a hob... Maybe two nano hobs. Your going to be dealing with a lot of biological waste. May be a good opportunity for denitrate in a hob as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice