Best filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by nandi08, Jul 8, 2015.

1. nandi08

nandi08 New Member Member

We are upgrading our tank size and I am wondering what the best filter options are out there. We would like to go to sand instead of gravel, would and underground filter still work?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't do an under gravel filter. What tank size?

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

4. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

What size tank and what's your budget for the filter?

5. OP
    OP
    nandi08

We are thinking 29 gallon. We don't want to spend anything crazy but we want a good one that will keep the water clear and clean.

6. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I would recommend an aquaclear filter. They are great filters and have a lot of space for media. I think an aqua clear 50 should be good.

7. BDpups

I would get a HOB filter then. Aquaclear, Penguin, and Fluval all make good quality HOB filters.

8. Jim

Jim Well Known Member Member

Aquaclear is a 50 year old design. The motor is on the outside of the tank. Decent filter but if you are new and like to keep it simple get an Aqueon HOB. They self prime. That means when the power goes off for 2 minutes they do not lose the water in the intake tube. Marina and AQueon are the only 2 sure fire self primers that I know of. Yes, the others, including AC, might, just might not lose its prime but why take a chance. Flame suit on!!:pokey:

9. Dom90

The problem with Aqueon HOBs is multiple types of filtration with one filter floss. That blue plastic piece is just useless, its supposed to house the beneficial bacteria but it isnt the ideal surface for bacteria to adhere to.

10. BDpups

My experience with HOB's is that if you do loose power, which is inevitable at some point, that as long as the tank is full, the filter will not loose its prime. But when I shut them off to do a water change and take half the water out of the tank, then you have to refill the filter to get it running again.

11. Dom90

I would not consider a filter just for the self-priming. That's a small hurdle to go through. You have to look at overall functionality. The AquaClears give the user the ability to customize filter media. That right there blows other HOBs out the water, no pun intended lol.

12. OP
    OP
    nandi08

Sorry we are very new fish owners. What do you mean when you say prime in regards to the filter and also what is a HOB

13. OP
    OP
    nandi08

Also this is for a single goldfish

14. Dom90

15. BDpups

HOB = Hang On Back. HOB filters, or power-filters are external filters that hang on the back of the aquarium.

Priming a filter is when you fill it with water. HOB filters need to be primed, filled with water, before you turn them on. When you clean your tank, and turn your filter off, you will need to refill it with water before turning it back on. Sometimes when your house looses power the filter may loose its prime.

16. OP
    OP
    nandi08

Oh ok thank you! Do you guys recommend sand or gravel with these filters?

17. Dom90

It doesnt really matter. Whichever substrate you choose to use. Just keep in mind, whatever filter you choose should have 8-10x GPH of the tank size.

18. FoulFishes

FoulFishes Valued Member Member

I really like Marineland's Bio-Wheel, Aqueon's Quiteflow, and the Aquacler filers. I've had success with these three brands.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice