Best filter media for Cannister?

FishWrangler

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am buying a Hydor Professional External Canister Filter and was wondering what the best media for this. I am mostly interested in the bio media.

Best Answer - View AmnScott's answer

AmnScott

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
For Bio Media, I like to use Ceramic rings. More specifically, I like the Fluval "Biomax" ceramic filter media. They are very porous and have a lot of surface area for the size.

Also, I like to use Polyfill for mechanical filtration. It helps polish the water and keep it crystal clear. Just make sure there is a more porous sponge before it to filter out larger particles.

OP
FishWrangler

FishWrangler

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I read some about people using 3 different types of foam for the mechanical filter, a large medium and small basically. Do I need a step between the more porous sponge and the one to polish?

AmnScott

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
FishWrangler said:
I read some about people using 3 different types of foam for the mechanical filter, a large medium and small basically. Do I need a step between the more porous sponge and the one to polish?
In my canisters, I typically use the sponge it came with then somehow add Pollyfil or a finer sponge above it. That is usually enough for mechanical filtration. Two levels of mechanical filtration has always been sufficient for my tanks. Adding a Pre-Filter to the filter intake would also help, if you have that option.

Pollyfill does a great job of polishing the water, but it can get dirty quick, and slow down the filter. So it is important to use a good sponge media before it in the filtration process. If I recall correctly, the sponge that comes with Hydor canister filters is sufficient for filtering out the large/medium particles.

Utar

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
For bio-media I only use biohome ultimate. For mechanical filtration you need three types, course, medium, fine. You want the water flow through your canister filter to hit the course pad first, then medium, and last fine. The course takes out the large muck, the medium the next size down, and the fine to polish off the water removing what is left.

Here is a good video by the pondguru showing the inside of bio-media.

Why Your Filter is Too Small

OP
FishWrangler

FishWrangler

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Utar said:
For bio-media I only use biohome ultimate. For mechanical filtration you need three types, course, medium, fine. You want the water flow through your canister filter to hit the course pad first, then medium, and last fine. The course takes out the large muck, the medium the next size down, and the fine to polish off the water removing what is left.

Here is a good video by the pondguru showing the inside of bio-media.

Why Your Filter is Too Small

I imagine in the one video where he talks about certain dechlorinators killing off the bacteria which convert nitrates to soluble nitrogen, he is talking about Seachem Prime and the like? He wouldnt list any brand names to stay away from or to use. Do you have knowledge of what he is talking about? Also, I bought the hydor that is made for up to 100 gallons for my 40 gallon tank. Hope that's not overkill.

Utar

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
FishWrangler said:
I imagine in the one video where he talks about certain dechlorinators killing off the bacteria which convert nitrates to soluble nitrogen, he is talking about Seachem Prime and the like? He wouldnt list any brand names to stay away from or to use. Do you have knowledge of what he is talking about? Also, I bought the hydor that is made for up to 100 gallons for my 40 gallon tank. Hope that's not overkill.
No your hydor is not overkill, as he said in the video whatever they rate the filter for HOB or canister you can almost cut that in half for the aquarium size to be used on.

The way manufacturers rate the flow rates of filters they make is right out of the top of the filter with nothing in it. No biomedia, no sponges, etc just and empty canister or HOB filter. Yes that is what the filter is rated for, but not so in the real world. Once you fill the filter with everything needed, then flow travels through the hoses, etc. The flow rate is almost cut in half. That is the real world flow rate for your aquarium.

What he is talking about with dechlorinator killing bacteria is this. There are two basic types of beneficial bacteria, aerobic bacteria and anaerobic bacteria. Aerobic bacteria (which needs oxygen) is what converts ammonia to nitrite then to nitrate, that is where it ends and you have to do water changes to remove the nitrate. Dechlorinators shouldn't hurt aerobic bacteria, and if it does the bacteria recovers quickly. The anaerobic bacteria converts (which has to live in an oxygen free environment) nitrate to harmless gas that bubbles away. Anaerobic bacteria is much, much harder to establish then aerobic bacteria, this why most people in the aquarium hobby don't bother with this type of bacteria. Some do so with sumps, a large container or aquarium created to home anaerobic bacteria. You will need to look this up, youtube is a good place. So anaerobic bacteria is what the pondguru is probably talking about that dechlorinator can be harmful to.

Stlshrk

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A $5 bag of lava rock from the garden center of Lowes or Home Depot will do you for quite a few canister filters! And you can use some for in the scape too, if you're into that sort of thing.

New Threads