Best Filter For Panda Corydoras

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Bubbles123, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Bubbles123

Bubbles123New MemberMember

I m planning to set up a 60L tank (~20 gal) with panda corydoras, a small number about 4 or 6. What is the best type of filter for these fish? Should I go for a canister filter or a small internal would be Ok? I was thinking about using eheim pickup 60.

2. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

As long it provides a decent flow.
    Pandas like flow / oxygenated / cooler water.

Take at least 6 but better 8 of these awesome fish.

Combine with other cooler water fish and they'll do great.

Warning : When buying be 100% sure they are healthy and active. In case of the slightest doubt : don't get them. There is a lot of overbred bad stock nowadays.

3. OP
    OP
    Bubbles123

Thanks for the warning, I'll keep that in mind. Can I combine them with other corydoras? I was thinking about getting some albinos too.

4. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

You can combine them but to be honest I like the behaviour of a bigger / decent group of the same species.

Another thing is that Pandas are notorious crossbreeders. I think C.aeneus albino is safe though.

5. OP
    OP
    Bubbles123

I didn't know they breed so easily, I hope they are not like guppies right?

6. Jonmott

JonmottNew MemberMember

Make sure you always quarantine new fish, you don’t want to kill off your whole stick of existing fish, I’ve seen it happen first hand unfortunately.

7. OP
    OP
    Bubbles123

8. Jonmott

JonmottNew MemberMember

Some people do it differently but personally I don’t do meds unless I see a reason to, I just keep a close eye on new fish for a few weeks.

9. OP
    OP
    Bubbles123

And what should i do if they have nipped fins? I know Cory's don't like salt treatment, should I use something else or just do water changes?