Best Filter for a 75 Gallon?

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was wondering what would be the best, affordable, filter for a 75 gallon tank. I am working around a tight budget meaning I'll probably only have about $80 max for a filter, so not much is available to me.

I also have to work around a canopy glass lid so that pretty much rules out hang on the back filters, which to me, seem pretty affordable right now.

With the tight budget, I realize I cannot afford a canister filter, and I can't seem to find any stronger enough sponge filters at my local LFS or on Amazon.

Any recommendations?

Best Answer - View david1978's answer

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could do a matten type filter in the one end. Its just a big piece of sponge and a cheap pump.

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use a Cascade 1000 on my 75 Gallon. The price seems to vary quite a bit depending on where you look. I seem to remember mine being about $70 on Amazon, because it was a unit that had been marked down for having a damaged box. The filter itself also had a crack in the base, but since it was the base and not the body of the filter it was just a cosmetic issue that doesn't impact the filter. I filled the crack with some super glue and that was that. It can be a bit of a pain to maintain, but it sure gets the job done. I also have an HOB and a sponge filter in there, so it's not the only source of filtration.

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Agree with David. On that budget, you can't beat a $15 maxijet / $10 block of sponge. If you do it right, you'll even have room behind the sponge wall for any other bio media that you want down the road. Look up DIY matten filters on youtube, especially focus on the ones that use a powerhead.

OP
AquaticQueen

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Turns out, I found this 60-100 power gallon air pump on Amazon that can have 2 sponge filters attached to it. Might go with that, and put two 60 gallon power sponge filters on it.

New Threads