best filter for a 20 gallon tall

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Damien808, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Damien808Valued MemberMember

currently have a aqueon quiet flow 10 on it but it looks small on there and it doesn't really cause alot of movement on the bottom. any suggestions?

2. TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

I used to use an Aqueon Quiet Flow on my 20 gallon high too. I have also used Tetra Whisper Power Filters and they didn't work well for me either. The best HOB filters I have ever used are from AquaClear. I currently have an AquaClear 50 on my 20 gallon high and the water is always crystal clear with just enough flow. I purchased mine on Amazon and it was pretty cheap. Highly recommended. Good luck!

3. Et tuValued MemberMember

Your filter is undersized for your tank,you need more horsepower! What is your budget for a new filter? Just looked at your profile, everything costs more on the islands.

4. Damien808Valued MemberMember

it says for aquariums up to 20 gallons as for budget im alright with anything from 20-50. And yes everything is more expensive and being 15 with this problem of wanting more tanks is dangerous lol. I found a guy selling a 55 gallon for $40 so i think that may become mine if my parents allow it.

5. Damien808Valued MemberMember

So is this alright? i would like something that circulates and gets the flow of the water close to the bottom of the tank instead kinda swirling the surface and hoping things from the bottom float up

6. amydebValued MemberMember

My son just upgraded his filter to an AquaClear (he has a 10 gallon). He's not much older than you so he has the same budget constraints. :) He likes it because it came with the sponge and bio-max and he won't have to purchase filter cartridges. Previously, he had a bio wheel filter and while the filter itself was quiet as soon as the water got any lower than just under the outflow, it was noisy. The Aquaclear seems to make less splashing noise, even during a water change when the water was very low.

The AquaClear 50 is for 20-50 gallon tanks so it should work for your tank. I recently saw them at Amazon for less than $40.

Hope this helps.

7. Damien808Valued MemberMember

Thanks! it seems that most people really like the aquaclear filters.

8. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Although the manufacturer's ratings may work for a certain tank size, you should always get the next size up and overfiltrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. Damien808Valued MemberMember

Will an aquaclear do good in a 20 gallon tall? It has sand so im not sure if that changes anything

10. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Why would it matter if the tank is a long or tall?

11. Damien808Valued MemberMember

idk i thought that made a difference sorry

12. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Yes they aquaclear will work in the 20tall. I had one running on mine, also sand shouldn't be a problem for the filter.

13. f2002Valued MemberMember

I have an Aquaclear 70 on my 20 gallon long tank.

Sand substrates may sometimes create problem for your filter, depending on how fine it is. If it is pretty heavy and settles quickly, then you should be ok. I have very fine white sand that looks like powdered sugar (Caribsea Super Naturals) and during my research I read several forum threads where people complaining about how the fine sand would ruin motors of filters.

I made a modification on my filter by cutting the intake tube to make it shorter (so it isn't so close to the bottom) and adding a prefilter sponge on the intake tube. So far zero problems.

An Aquaclear 70 may be too strong of a current for a 20 gallon tank. My neon tetras did not like the strong current at all. However, I added a piece of sponge to the waterfall and it slowed down the flow enough to make it ok for my tank.

14. Damien808Valued MemberMember

would anyone recommend a sponge filter? or would that be a problem with sand or should i try to lengthen the intake of a hob filter that i decide on?

15. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

A sponge filter would work too

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice