Best filter for 55 gallon aquarium Question

1. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Title says it, what would be best?
    I want something that is cheaper, though.
    UGF is written off unless someone says otherwise.
    Here is a list of HOB filters for 55s I can find:
    Marineland ml50363 Penguin Bio-Wheel Power Filter 350

Penn-plax Cascade Hang-On Aquarium Power Filter - for 55 Gallon Aquariums

Aqueon Quiet Flow Filter - 90 Gal.

Aquatop PFE-6 Power Filter, Up to 55 Gallons

Tetra 25775 Whisper Power Filter 60, up to 60-Gallon

Tetra 26313 Whisper EX 70 Filter, 45-70-Gallon

Rena SmartFilter 55, UP TO 55 Gallons

AquaTechPower Filter 30-60
    Tetra FS3060 Power Filter
    I have also seen Lee's premium UG Filter for 40/55 gal, is this any good?

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I think you can't really go wrong with a SunSun 303. Affordable and has plenty of room to customize your media.

3. HappyKnitter Member Member

I have Marineland penguins in all my tanks . I have the 100 in my betta ten gallon, then the 200 in my 29 gallon and I have 2 , 350's in my 55 gallon goldfish tank. I love them , easy to change pads and you can have more than one pad in the filter.

4. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

+1 on the SunSun canisters they are awesome and much cheaper than any other canister. Search for "sunsun canister filter" on ebay and you will find a ton. I got my HW-302 for about $50 including shipping. It's rated for tanks up to 75 gallons, but I would get the next size up like Adam suggested just to have a little extra filtration. I think the 303's go for around $65ish.

5. TKDennison Member Member

+2 on the sunsun. Love mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

How about the aqueon power filter? I looked at all the reviews for all of these and it has the best rating, and the cheapest.

7. SW5 Well Known Member Member

I think the sunsun would be a good filter for you, so +3 on that. I have a penn plax cascade, and recommend it as well, but I have heard such great things about the sun suns, I don't think you can go wrong, except the instructions are not well translated, I read my friend's manual a bit, it says something about a "dirtiness valve" or something to that effect.

8. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

The Aqueon power filter may be ok, but ideally on larger tanks, 40 gallons or larger in my opinion, you should really go with a canister. They have much better filtration capacity with a lot more space for bio-media. After reading some reviews, many people said it was noisy and also wouldn't start back up after power outage (which is actually common for just about any HOB power filter). Up to you but $30 for an Aqueon 55/75 or $65 for a SunSun canister, I would definitely go with the Sunsun.

9. saints day eve Member Member

I have 2 Aqueon filters (Quiet Flow 20 and 30) for my 29 gallon and i like em alot. A big step up (to me) from my Top Fin. Only thing is it has a bio grid and not a spounge for the filter media and can be kinda loud as it spashes the water. I may change to a sponge soon

10. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I decided to try the aqueon. If it does not work well, I will try the sunsun or the penguin bio-wheel.

11. WiFi Well Known Member Member

I love the Marineland Emperor line. Run both the 400 and the 280. I suggest a Emperor 280 for your 55g tank, it is a little bit noisy water wise if you run it in a bedroom I don't suggest it.

12. SW5 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, the aqueons aren't all that great of filters, I used one on my 20 for a long time, and it did the job, but my canister blows it out of the water. (Pun intended)

13. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

It is in a bedroom, so.....

14. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Yes I would definitely try something different, My 280 has woken me up a couple times. Canisters are extremely quiet and efficient from my research. I've been pondering getting one when I upgrade my 55g to a 125g :party0049:

15. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Anders, since your tank is in a bedroom, you need to consider the noise factor a HOB filter will create from water splashing at the surface and motor noise. I know sometimes price point is important, but noise can become an issue in areas where people sleep. Canisters are virtually silent, more if housed inside a cabinet. I just set this Aquatop filter as a secondary filter on my flowerhorn tank and really like it. I paid $50 shipped to my home. The filter comes with media, though you will need to buy another pack of bio media and sponge, but overall, great canister. I think most of us have started with HOB filters and eventually migrated to canisters and have never looked back. In both my goldfish and FH tank, I run a canister and large HOB in tandem as both my goldies and FH are messy eaters and in my opinion, HOB filters do a better job at picking up large particulate.

http://www.truaqua.com/aquatop-canister-filter-at-300.html

16. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks. I may try it if this HOB filter does not work.

17. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

What's your budget for your filter?

18. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Under 40 dollars

19. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

That's going to limit you. Of what you listed, the Penguin 350 would be your best bet.

20. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

OK.