Best Filter For 20 Gallon Question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by fish 321, Nov 9, 2018 at 11:46 PM.

1. fish 321

fish 321 Valued Member Member

Just wondering what the best filter for a 20 long would be.

2. imba

imba Valued Member Member

3. irow

irow Valued Member Member

Don't think a canister is necessary for a 20 gallon... Definitely not one that costs upwards of 150.

I would go with an aqua clear 20 or 30, imo.

4. OP
    OP
    fish 321

Are marineland filters any good.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 12:07 AM
  5. irow

I have a penguin 150 on my 20 gallon, it's okay, but it overflows a lot even with regular maintenance. Also not a lot of room for media if you're just using the cartridges. I have mine with an intake sponge and biomax in the media compartment.

Would definitely go aqua clear if you have the money to spare.

6. OP
    OP
    fish 321

O
    Okay I will probably get the aqua clear.

7. irow

By the way, if you end up with the aqua clear, I would save the carbon for later, if you need to med your tank (hopefully not). Put some extra biomedia in there if you want (and if it fits)

8. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

I have the Seachem Tidal 75, and really like it. I heard the company came out with a Tidal 30. I agree about the Eheim 2217, if you don't mind spending more. You might have to cut the intake, as it may be too long, however.

9. KKM

KKM Valued Member Member

It really depends on your stocking, but if you do plan to fully stock your tank I HIGHLY suggest getting an Aquaclear 50 or 70. Despite what the box says, the 20 and 30 just aren’t enough (as the sole filter, that is).

10. OP
    OP
    fish 321

I am planning on fully stocking it, and it sounds like aquaclear filters are pretty good so I will definitely go with the 50.

11. b

bettabo1 Valued Member Member

Aquaclear 50 on one end and ati hydro sponge 2 for a ten gallon on the other end.

I also like penguin filters, I stuff aquaclear sponges and bio rings in them though.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 7:37 PM
  12. Nikki2577

Nikki2577 Well Known Member Member

I would use an Aquaclear

13. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

That is all I use. If you are interested in seeing the results I can post photos of the aquariums. I use canisters Mag 350'S, the new Magnaflow 360's, and Penguin bio wheels and Emperor bio wheels. I use both canisters and HOB on all our aquariums. The smallest is a 29 Gallon. Well, there is the 10 gallon betta with just a Penguin 200 bio wheel.

14. Punkin

Punkin Well Known Member Member

I have an aquaclear 50 on my 20 gallon. A tidal is a nice filter too.

15. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Punkin :) nice to see you are still around :;bananaslide

16. A

Annie59 Valued Member Member

Actually I don't really have a favorite. With the exception of canister filters, don't care for them. I have old...OLD filters I still use, most of them I can't even remember the names. I think most of them are good or at least the ones I have had were.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice