Best Filter for 125 Gallon

DollyDolly

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm am trying to stay on a budget and not spend $400 on a filter. I would create a sump or a diy filter but my floor wouldnt be able to take the extra weight.
What are some good filters for a 125 gallon?

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I run two AquaClear 110's on my 120 gal. tank. They do a great job. Tidal 110's would work as well.
The AC 110's range from $75 to $90 The Tidal 110's just a little less expensive.

OP
DollyDolly

DollyDolly

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A201 said:
I run two AquaClear 110's on my 120 gal. tank. They do a great job. Tidal 110's would work as well.
The AC 110's range from $75 to $90 The Tidal 110's just a little less expensive.
Is that enough filtration?

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Two AC 110's on a 120 gal. tank is almost twice the manufacturer's suggested filtration.

OP
DollyDolly

DollyDolly

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was going to very heavily plant it with fish with not a lot of bioload. Some angels, tetras, cories. Can I just run an FX4 with the help of the plants?

Bigwhite

Reaction score
DollyDolly said:
I was going to very heavily plant it with fish with not a lot of bioload. Some angels, tetras, cories. Can I just run an FX4 with the help of the plants?
I see no reason you can't I have about the same stock you want only thing I did was filled baskets full of biomedia. Not heavily planted yet. BUT I DO 15-20% water changes every week religiously.
1575843922397.jpg

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I run a FX6, Fluval 406 and a HOB emperor 400. I have a lot of plants and ( yes way overstocked ) I do 75% water changes every week. Tank is crystal clear

Bigwhite

Reaction score
Dennis57 said:
I run a FX6, Fluval 406 and a HOB emperor 400. I have a lot of plants and ( yes way overstocked ) I do 75% water changes every week. Tank is crystal clear
The point was to budget that's about $600 worth of equipment.

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bigwhite said:
The point was to budget that's about $600 worth of equipment.
Everyones budget is different. I did get the FX6 for 200.00 on black Friday ;)

Bigwhite

Reaction score
Dennis57 said:
Everyones budget is different. I did get the FX6 for 200.00 on black Friday ;)
Jealous they were out of stock when I try to purchase. Petsmart right?

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bigwhite said:
Jealous they were out of stock when I try to purchase. Petsmart right?
Yes sir. I drove 53 miles 1 way to get this 1. Every LFS around were sold out within an hour

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DollyDolly , the Chewy site has the Aquaclear 110 on sale for $61. The PetSmart will price match them instore.

Also, the Ken's Fish site sells the Tidal 110 for around $63, no tax and free s&h.

Both prices are about the cheapest you will find.

Another budget combination to consider would be a trio of Marineland 400 Emperor HOB's that are stuffed with foam sponge blocks from Aquaclear 70 refill packs. Online the Emperor's can be had for about $39 each. There is a DIY hack on YouTube showing a guy disconnecting the spray bars and attaching vinyl hose to the output to send water back down to the bottom of the side reservoirs and he omited the bio-wheels all together. Very slick hack.

A pair of large HOB's + a pair of large sponge filters driven by a decent air pump will filter your 125g just fine.

The Ken's Fish site sells the ATI brand of sponge filters that I use. Models with "Pro" in the name use ATI's coarse foam for higher flow and less restriction.

For example, a pair of "ATI Hydro Sponge V" filters would work great with a pair of large HOB's. I use ATI sponge filters and pre-filters in my tanks and like them a lot.

OP
DollyDolly

DollyDolly

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Islandvic said:
DollyDolly , the Chewy site has the Aquaclear 110 on sale for $61. The PetSmart will price match them instore.

Also, the Ken's Fish site sells the Tidal 110 for around $63, no tax and free s&h.

Both prices are about the cheapest you will find.

Another budget combination to consider would be a trio of Marineland 400 Emperor HOB's that are stuffed with foam sponge blocks from Aquaclear 70 refill packs. Online the Emperor's can be had for about $39 each. There is a DIY hack on YouTube showing a guy disconnecting the spray bars and attaching vinyl hose to the output to send water back down to the bottom of the side reservoirs and he omited the bio-wheels all together. Very slick hack.

A pair of large HOB's + a pair of large sponge filters driven by a decent air pump will filter your 125g just fine.

The Ken's Fish site sells the ATI brand of sponge filters that I use. Models with "Pro" in the name use ATI's coarse foam for higher flow and less restriction.

For example, a pair of "ATI Hydro Sponge V" filters would work great with a pair of large HOB's. I use ATI sponge filters and pre-filters in my tanks and like them a lot.
Chewy copies amazon with every product chewy carries. Also, I think I'm going with FX4 but thanks.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yep. I've noticed the same thing about Amazon/Chewy.

I would wager that Amazon is actually selling Chewy products and fulfilling their orders, but that is only speculation.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Islandvic, great reply. IMO, the Marineland Emperor series of filters have been underrated and not endorsed as much as they should by experienced fishkeepers, including me.
I've been running a Marineland Emperor 280 for "21" years on a 65 gal. tank. Of course I converted it years ago, using Fluval replacement foam sponges in the media box. The Emperor does a really good job and runs much more quiet than my AC 110's.

OP
DollyDolly

DollyDolly

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am also looking to get a light too for plants. I want one that last a while and can grow mid-high light plants. I also don't want to spend a whole lot on that. Arent there lights from home depot that can grow plants well?

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Take a look on Amazon for the Beamswork "DA F-SPEC". They also have an optional plug-in timer to control independently the full spectrum and the blue lights.

I've run the lower cost (lower output) EA series of the Beamswork for over 1 1/2 years with no issues.

New Threads