Best Filter For 10 Gallon Betta Tank???

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Guppy Horses, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Guppy Horses

Guppy Horses Valued Member Member

Hey guys!:;hi1

As you know, I'm planning on setting up a 10 gallon betta tank. I know that most fish in general do not like strong filter flow, and I also know that bettas in particular are very sensitive about filters. I've done research and there are 4 filters that I found:

I'm not sure which one would be the best. Can you help me? Also if you just have other filter suggestions that's fine to.

Thanks!!

-Guppy:p

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2016
  2. Fettuccini

Fettuccini Well Known Member Member

Personally, I'd suggest a sponge filter. Less water flow, cheaper, and easier to clean.

3. vivelafish

vivelafish Valued Member Member

I have the Aqueon Quiet Flow 10 in my 10 Gal and though it keeps my water sparkly clean, the filter is REALLY strong on the outflow so unless if you are planning on doing a filter baffle, I don't recommend it for a betta. That's just my two cents! Maybe others have had better luck with it.

4. CROWNTAILBETTA

CROWNTAILBETTA Well Known Member Member

5. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

Completely agree on this statement. I really like the quiet flows, but they would have to be baffled for a betta I would think.

6. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

I have a 10g betta tank as well and I use an AquaClear 20. I have it adjusted to the lowest flow setting. I bought a sponge pre-filter to put over the intake tube, but the flow doesn't bother him so I haven't used it.

7. L

Landos Well Known Member Member

Depends where it is going. I would not recommend a sponge filter if it's going to be in your bedroom, as air pumps can become quite loud.

8. B

Bbarb27 Valued Member Member

When I had bettas I used an aquaclear filter with a baffle. If I had to choose between the ones you have there I would pick the Aqueon Quietflow 10 and use a baffle.

ETA: I also have a 10 gallon with a slightly larger whisper filter than you selected. It's quiet and has been reliable.

9. s

s hawk Well Known Member Member

I have the quietflow 10 but in a 5.5. Pretty good flow but could be strong for big finned betta. However last time I was in petco there were some insert things for the return of the filter. Marketed as ammonia scrubbers but just looked like sponge made by Aqueon for the filter. Also I had this filter both in dorm room and bedroom. It's pretty quiet but has some slightly louder days

10. r

revelations Valued Member Member

I have a Marina S15 on a 10G betta tank, the flow isn't strong at all, and you can adjust the intake amount.

It's an ok filter, probably good enough for a 10G betta.

11. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I recommend a sponge filter.
    Somebody said that the air pumps can be loud, but if you set it up correctly(not hanging over any edges, touching anything but the surface it's on) they don't make much noise at all. I recommend the tetra whispers. I keep my tanks in my room, and I have most of them on sponge filters, and they don't keep me up.

12. smorescreed

smorescreed New Member Member

I used both of the Aqueon products you posted and they are really good filters, very quiet, but the cartridges are very expensive to replace. They will produce a current fit for a 10 gallon but might bother bettas because they don't like very strong currents. My betta didn't like the current at first until I put tall plants and ornaments which helped lessen the drag for my betta.

I also used a tetra whisper 10 but i don't like because it feels cheaply made. The current is weak but it's because of the weak airpump that comes with it.

I am now using a sponge filter and i really like it because I don't have to buy the expensive cartridges. The current is stronger with this one, but it can be fixed by adjusting your airpump settings.

13. C

Coolbeans5 New Member Member

Personally, all 4 of my betta tanks have the Tetra filter. I swear by them for Betta tanks. They are effective, and there is little to no current if you keep the water level near the top of the filter. My 10 gallon is very clear, and clean! I would highly recommend that one, just because of the fact there is hardly any current. When I first got into Bettas I was faced with the same dilemma of too much current. I went through about 5 different filters before I discovered the tetra whisper, and I'll never go back! I even tried a homemade baffle, but there was still too much current. The only con to this filter is it does take up a little bit of space, but I would rather have a little less space and a happy Betta. Plus aquascaping can help hide it. Anyways, I hope this helped. :)

Also, the tetra whisper does not require an airpump only the model for 1-3 gallons does require one.

14. smorescreed

smorescreed New Member Member

I stand corrected . Yes, only the smallest tetra whisper requires an airpump.

15. g

gjshaw29 Valued Member Member

I have the aquen 10 filter in my 10 gallon with a betta. I did baffle the flow using a water bottle. (youtube will have vids on how to do this.) I love it, it does 100 GPH, and is super quiet. Been in there about a week with no issues. Sammy (my betta) swims freely all over the tank.

16. N

NormalFishkeeper New Member Member

air powered sponge, corner or box filter or tetra whisper 10i

17. m

maramarrie Valued Member Member

Following.
    The filter included with my Aqueon MiniBow5 seems to have much too strong of an output for our betta, even with a baffle. We have pantyhose mesh covering the intake and water bottle baffle over the output, but the current visibly pushes the betta around. I assume this is one reason he has dramatically nipped his fins down in the past. I'm hoping to upgrade to a 10-20 gal and find some sort of filtration he will tolerate well.

18. B

Bbarb27 Valued Member Member

Some bettas don't mind currents, others are distressed. Have you tried a sponge filter with an air pump in your current tank?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice