Best Filter Ever? 180 Gallon Tank

1. sailor7x Member Member

I've heard that the

Lifereef LFS 2-300 Split Tower Wet/Dry Trickle Filter

is the best ever....is that true and why?
    :;swls

2. James95 Well Known Member Member

There's no cut and dry way to say that one filter is the best. There are a lot of variables like tank size, fish being kept, bioload, plants/no plants, tank depth, and more.

It depends on what you're trying to achieve.

3. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree I think when you ask that question you will get a lot of different answers, also the point needs to be asked are we talking ANY type of filter or just canisters or what?

To me the best ever filter is a sump system with a small riparian attached to it to perform a full nitrification and denitrification cycle before returning the water to the tank.

4. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Heys guys, I think the OP was saying if that filter was the best filter for his own tank. There's a 180 gallon prefix as you can see at the top. I think he was asking if that filter was good for his tank.

5. James95 Well Known Member Member

I figured "best filter ever" meant... Well... Ever. Lol

6. sailor7x Member Member

"To me the best ever filter is a sump system with a small riparian attached to it to perform a full nitrification and denitrification cycle before returning the water to the tank."

Can you explain how this works or do you have a link to a website that explains it...

Also are such systems easy to set up?

7. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Its more of a home brewed style setup.

Using a sump system or one you build add plenty of bio media to allow a good colony of bacteria to grow. After you get a sump working the second half is a partial water and land tank that is HEAVILY planted with a very deep substrate to allow for anaerobic conditions to exist. The plants will feed off of the nitrogen and other organics such as phosphorus. The anaerobic bacteria that grow in the deep bed of this tank will also help to convert the nitrates back into organic and gaseous forms of nitrogen. If done properly this setup would complete the Nitrogen cycle.

The name of the game is to keep the oxygen level as low as possible in that second tank, you want it basically non existent. Once you have gone thru that tank a small air pump in the sump will help bring the water back up to efficient levels for addition back to your main tank.

Keep in mind this is not an easy setup to build it is a complex habitat that you are creating that will involve a lot of work for what some will say is a very small reward. Personally I will be building one like this but it will be for a very large tank.

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

180 isn't a very large tank? ;)

9. sailor7x Member Member

home brewed pirahna -

thanks for the explanation. I will keep this system in mind as I plan a large freshwater tank setup.

10. Squirtle =) Member Member

wet/dry or 2x FX5s, I love the fx5s great for people who are not so sure with sumps but understand how to setup sumps now there is really no turning back love them!