Best filter choice?

Joesmets

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Starting a 30 gallon, as soon as I finish my move. Trying to decide on a Seachem Tidal or a Fluval C4, any thoughts

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
I am no expert on power filters, but here's a question - what kind of tank will you be using? For tanks with only fish, HOB filters like these work reasonably well; for planted tanks, the variable flow patterns inherent to HOB filters (just change the distance between the outflow and the water surface) can play havoc with CO2 levels and may be excessively good at offgassing, so something with an internal outflow (such as a canister filter, an internal power filter, or a refugium/sump) where the current can be kept more consistent would work better.

OP
Joesmets

Joesmets

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks, just fish

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
Joesmets said:
Thanks, just fish
In that case I believe a HOB would be fine. I would wait for more opinions on this just in case.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know a lot of people run Aquaclear HOB filters and they are very happy with them. I had one years ago and it was great, never a hiccup from it. They have a decent media capacity as well which allows for some nice customization.

OP
Joesmets

Joesmets

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Used that one before, just looking to change, thanks

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
I have the Tidal 55, and the one feature I really like is the bottom up flow of the water. I like the skimmer feature too, but that wasn't really a selling point for me.

I think both are equally configurable, so from that point, they're pretty much equal.

OP
Joesmets

Joesmets

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Great thoughts, thank you. Leaning towards Tidal, love Seachem products and their customer service

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
I've seen some complaints on the Tidal skimmer sucking up food that's still floating, causing the filter to clog up, but I keep my skimmer setting set to about half, it is adjustable, and I've never had any problems with clogging. I also keep the filter on the far left side of my tank and feed on the far left right side, so that may help. I just really like that the water flows from bottom to top. Their sponge sits on the bottom, I have poly-fill packed between the sponge and the bio-bag, and I'm totally happy with mine.

OP
Joesmets

Joesmets

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Super, thanks

New Threads