Best Filter Brand

Which filter brand do you consider best and why?

• Total voters

fintail

Reaction score
I use a mellieum power filter wet dry with the oxigen valve that produces bubbles.it works good in the ten gallon. and I use a eclipse bio wheel in the 5 gallon both are good. I put netting over the intake filter tube. when babies are present. for their safety.

Regal

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Bio-wheels are a must! They provide extra space for bacteria to grow. The bio-wheel is constantly rotating through the air and staying wet at the same time thus providing tons of extra oxygen for the bacteria. What else can do that? I have added them to established tanks and in a few weeks they make any tank perfectly clear. It takes a few weeks for the bacteria to populate the wheel. Even if you add a small bio-wheel filter to your tank along with the filtration you are already using you will see a huge difference.

The bio-wheel allows you to have so much more beneficial bacteria than other media that your tank can handle a heavier bio load. Helpful when disaster strikes and you have to combine tanks (like when one springs a leak or something).

Plus I can pick up a bio wheel and sit it in a bucket of water to protect the beneficial bacteria. When I had my old 75 gallon and bought a 37 gallon I just took one of the bio-wheels off of the 330 gph (they make diff sizes now) and exchanged it for the single bio-wheel on the 170 gph and had an instantly cycled 37 gallon tank. Portable bacteria is very convenient!

Also, The HOT magnum with the micron cartridge polishes the water so fish look like they are floating on air. And if you charge it with DE powder... wow now that's some clean water!
IMO Marineland Rocks!

Regal

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
One other thing.

The penguin and the emperor should not be counted separately. So if someone is using these opinions to consider which filter to buy I would say add their votes together.

They are the same thing minus a spray bar on the emperor right? Correct me if I'm wrong please.

It says right in the directions that the bio-wheel will slow down as it gets heavier and that is fine so then why would I pay more for a filter with a spray bar to make it spin faster. That's just my opinion of course but its why I never paid extra for the emperor.

clinton1621

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Actually porous ceramics (like bio balls) have much more surface area than bio wheels, and hold way more bacteria than the wheels do.

clinton1621

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Best hang on types would be... Aquaclear first, for the range and amount of different media you can use... Bio Wheels second, only because of a lack of media range and space

I can't say much for canisters, as I've only had Fluvals, which seem to work just fine.

Regal

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have bio balls in my canister but they are plastic, there are little ceramic tubes too. Are we talking about the same thing?
So if they are under water how can they have more oxygen available to them than the bio-wheel would when its constantly spinning in and out of the water? Is there more oxygen in the water than the air?
I guess the Aquaclear may have a bigger box (not sure haven't seen one recently) but as for range (if you mean what type of media you can use) what can you put in an Aquaclear that you can't put in a penguin?
My thinking is this... the bio-wheel is an added bonus so why not? If for some reason a person decides they don't like it then they can take the bio-wheel off and they would be right where they would have been with any other HOB filter.

clinton1621

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
suemvb said:
I have bio balls in my canister but they are plastic, there are little ceramic tubes too. Are we talking about the same thing?
So if they are under water how can they have more oxygen available to them than the bio-wheel would when its constantly spinning in and out of the water? Is there more oxygen in the water than the air?
I guess the Aquaclear may have a bigger box (not sure haven't seen one recently) but as for range (if you mean what type of media you can use) what can you put in an Aquaclear that you can't put in a penguin?
My thinking is this... the bio-wheel is an added bonus so why not? If for some reason a person decides they don't like it then they can take the bio-wheel off and they would be right where they would have been with any other HOB filter.
There are also ceramic bio balls, usually called bio-max or bio-media. These have much more surface area than a bio wheel does. And as far as oxygen goes... bacteria need more waste than oxygen. They only need the amount of oxygen that's in the tank water to survive, but they need a lot of waste to eat and stay alive... Bio wheels are not exposed to much waste because the filter pads catch all of it, and the wheels are spinning, so not much waste accumulates on them. There is some bacteria on the bio wheels, but nowhere near how much people actually think there is... most of your bacteria is going to be in the filter pads where the waste is, in other words where the food is =)

As far as media that you can put in an Aquaclear versus a Penguin... this may have changed recently, but the last penguins I saw just had filter pad inserts. Whereas Aquaclears are more like a canister... they hold bio balls, sponge filters, peat moss, filter floss, ceramic noodles, filter pads, carbon bags... pretty much anything you feel like using.

Regal

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
In my opinion what you are saying about bacteria not needing any more oxygen than what is in the water doesn't make much sense. If that were the case why were wet/dry systems ever invented? And, you are right on one thing waste does not accumulate on the bio-wheel, its not supposed to. I think a lot of people would dispute your claI'm about the amount of bacteria on the bio-wheel, but hey maybe you actually have some way to determine how much beneficial bacteria is in your media verses someone else's.

Both the penguin/emperor and the aquaclear are hob filters. They are empty boxes that hang on the back of an aquarium. You can still fill those empty boxes with whatever media you want. They are still hob filters and not at all canister filters that are sealed containers that force the water through the media. Whether one box is slightly larger than the other I don't know. (I believe the emperor is larger than the penguin?) You are correct in that Marineland makes cartridges with filter pads and carbon all sealed up together. They are ridiculously expensive btw.
bio-max are "porous ceramic cylinders" that are actually made by Fluval. I don't know about the bio-media, unless you mean bio-media in general. If not then its something I'm not familiar with but I don't see why you could drop some in an Aquaclear but not an emperor.
I still say if a person is torn between a bio-wheel and some other hob filter then get the bio-wheel and if they decide it is not something they like then they can take it off.

clinton1621

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
An Aquaclear is designed different than a typical hang on filter.... it does force water through the media, and it does not use cartridges... it uses a basket similar to a canister that holds different media types. The water is forced up through the bottom of the basket... usually in the same order of media that a canister uses, first through a sponge, then through an optional chemical media, and then last through a bio-max media.

If you just threw all that media into a penguin/emperor filter, then it wouldnt work very well... the water wouldnt be forced up through the bottom, it would just flow over the upper media because they are not designed the same as an Aquaclear.

And I did not dispute the fact that bio wheels do have bacteria present on them... they just don't have as much as a filter pad would... because the bacteria need food to keep them alive. By the time the water goes through the filter bags and out to the bio wheel, it is essentially clean... so the bacteria on the wheel have very little ammonia or nitrite to feed off of even though they have plenty of oxygen.

Does that make more sense?

Regal

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
May have to just to agree to disagree. I'm curious as to why you insist that a filter sponge has more bacteria than the bio-wheel. I guess I'm asking how you came across such specific info. Maybe you work in a facility where you can do testing to refute the claims of the Marineland people. (I may have to eat crow if tht's the case lol) I don't know, I'm just really impressed with them.
I'm still taking your advice on the carbon and peat moss, you clearly know way more than I do about ph and hardness. (You suggested in another thread that I take them out) An interesting discussion but I have to admit I'm pretty hard headed about the bio-wheel. Off the top of my head I think I've purchased 6 and also 2 as gifts that really drastically improved some friends water clarity after the wheel had time to build up a good bacteria culture.
BTW do use DE powder in your Fluval? I use it in my Magnum sometimes and WOW it looks so good. Is yours the kind of filter that uses that or am I thinking of something else?

clinton1621

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well nobody is going to claI'm that their product doesn't work lol. I have definitely found that you either love the bio wheels or can't stand them... there's not much in between there. Personally I think they work just fine, the wheel is definitely a bonus with a filter pad only type of filter, as it gives you more available surface area than just the pad alone. Surface area and available food sources are the two biggest things for bacteria. Bio wheels definitely have good surface area, but not a lot of available food. Look at it this way, would you rather eat a little bit of food... or an entire buffet? That's the reason why the media with the most waste on it has the most bacteria on it, they live where the waste is... not in clean water.

And yes I remember talking to you about pH and carbon =)
I'm not trying to attack your view on bio wheels, just giving up some insight into how well they work How is the pH coming along now by the way?

I'm not using my fluval right now, it was actually on my 55 gallon saltwater tank that I gave up =( But yes I believe it could use that type of media, although I only ever used sponges, bio max, and filter floss.

Regal

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It's still at 6 which is where it was before. Unless its actually less and the test is just reading 6 because that's as low as it goes.

masterid

Reaction score
No.1_Chooser

I m using an Aqua Clear Filter since last 2 years & yet I don't have any serious problem with it or my tank.

Its really great to have such filters that keep tank water clean & tidy. I owned tank of 1 gallon with 4 different breeds.

masterid

Reaction score
No.1_chooser

I think, Selecting the appropriate for your aquarium is very important and not just any will do. Here at AquariumGuys we offer over 150 different aquarium filters from the most trusted, top selling brands to ensure that we have the best filter for your needs. Browse our sections for information, or check out our full length article on filtration. Then stock up on the filter media, filter cartridges or filter bags, and filter parts you need to get started!

razorack

Reaction score
Newb Question

HI !,

I am picking up new tank this weekend. 100 gal. freshwater. I have some questions as a friend recommended me on getting two filters, that are as follows:

Cascase 1200 and the Emperor 400 Power Filter, now I can say they his tank is crystal clear all the time. Can you pros out there make any better recommendations on previous use or history or are these going to to a good job for me. Both of these cover the three types of filtration as far as I can see.

Thanks,
razorack--

soldieroffortune1974

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I only use EheI'm canister filters. My 1st was eheim,and 10 years later,it's still working. I own 4 of them,but I use their design (tore it apart and built my own) You can make your own canister filter for roughly $25,search the DIY section and save yourself a lot of money.

masterid

Reaction score
Fish_Lover

Selecting the appropriate filter for your aquarium is very important and not just any aquarium filter will do. Here at they offer over 150 different aquarium filters from the most trusted, top selling brands to ensure that we have the best filter for your needs. Browse their sections for information, or check out our full length article on filtration. Then stock up on the filter media, filter cartridges or filter bags, and filter parts you need to get started!

My friend got his aquarium filter from this store in so less price, that I brought it for my tank tooo...

soldieroffortune1974

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
masterid said:
Selecting the appropriate filter for your aquarium is very important and not just any aquarium filter will do. Here at they offer over 150 different aquarium filters from the most trusted, top selling brands to ensure that we have the best filter for your needs. Browse their sections for information, or check out our full length article on filtration. Then stock up on the filter media, filter cartridges or filter bags, and filter parts you need to get started!

My friend got his aquarium filter from this store in so less price, that I brought it for my tank tooo...
That sounds like an advertisement. I would have to disagree that not just any filter will do. I have been building my own for years,and they do as well as the commercially available filters.They do better,because they cost a lot less,and do the same job. A filter consists of a container,a pump and media,that's all you need,and no matter what manufacturer they come from,or if you make them yourself;they all perform the same function.

Fish_wise_man

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Osiris said:
I recently got a Rena Filstar XP2 and absolutely love it. I think my fish do too.
I bet it does!! how well does it work? They aren't too expensive right? like under $100.

I use many 100 gallon aqua clear filters for my 1,000 gallon tank. It works quite well, but the thing I hate is cleaning the filter. I do it once every 2 weeks. Also, I replace the filter sponge every 3 weeks because I try my best to make the water crisp and clear.

Although you could imagine how many plug outlets I had to buy.

New Threads