Best Filter Brand

Which filter brand do you consider best and why?

• Total voters
OP
Isabella

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Have been thinking a lot, and decided to get a canister for my 75G. Thank you all for the input. I love ya all

Of course, but ... WHICH canister !? LOL Well ... I think when buying a filter, one has to take into consideration what will be in the tank, even the substrate kind. I will have this tank at least moderately planted (probably more). The substrate will be 2-3" of Seachem's Fluorite and/or CaribSea's Eco-Complete. These 2 factors (plants and substrate) should be especially taken into consideration since if plants are doing well, they also help purify the water and the substrate is not just a plain inert gravel, but a nutrient-rich one designed for plants so it may influence the water chemistry I suppose. The lighting will be 1.7 wpg (if the plants won't do well under this lighting, I will upgrade to a higher light later on). Oh, and the plants will be: swords, vals, anubias, java fern, java moss, and dwarf saggitaria. Perhaps I'll experiment with apongetons and some crypts too (see if they wouldn't die).

Taking all of the above into account, which model of EheI'm would be best? Or perhaps XP?

Jason

Well Known
Reaction score
Nice plant selection, I find it hard to find any crypts and apponogeton and saggitaria species. And also ground covering and surface plants. Amazingly Ive only ever one seen Java fern

OP
Isabella

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If I don't find a good aquatic plant store J-Man, I'll have to order online. So far, from the plants that I want, I saw only swords and java ferns at my LFS. And I saw them very rarely there. Plus, they were all rotting there and being charged $2-4 a piece! Haha ... they think people will buy that!?

Marc

Well Known
Reaction score
I had good luck with aquarium plants

Keep in mind, though, they ship the plants in wet newspaper instead of in water to cut the shipping (drastically). As long as you get 1st or 2nd day air, though, they're perfectly fine.

OP
Isabella

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks for the advice Marc I checked the website out and they seem like a decent plant website. They also seem very accountable. Not all plants are cheap there, and one would have to pay quite a sum for a heavily planted 75G tank when buying all plants from them, but if they have excellent plants then I suppose they're worth it. Maybe I'll order plants from them once I have bought the tank, the stand, the substrate, and all the technical equipment, and when everything is set up and ready, just waiting for the plants. I'll definitely place an overnight order if I order plants online - I don't want to risk them dying en route. The only problem would be that they'd charge me a lot for shipping to NY from where they are. It'd cost me $50-90 for shipping alone, and I estimate approximately $150-250 worth of plants for a 75G tank. But ... we'll see. I still have time and I am not rushing anything. Research is power, lol.

OP
Isabella

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
One more question about canister filters: where are their intake and outflow tubes located? One tube at each end of the tank? Or two tubes next to each other? If they're next to each other, filtration does not make sense this way to me in a large tank.

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
With the XP's, intake and outflow are pretty close to each other. I have 2 xp's running, one on each sie of the tank.

OP
Isabella

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Gunnie, is it possible to position each tube on opposite ends of the tank? Could I get more and longer pipes and do that, somehow?

P.S. Gunnie, in another of your posts, you wrote that for HOB filters, those that pump 10 times the volume of the tank are best. And that for canister filters, those that pump 5 times the volume of your tank are best. Which XP or EheI'm filter would do the job for a 75 gallon tank?

Here is also a copy of my post from PlantGeek on various canister filters. Please help me decide which would be best for me:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I have a few more questions about canister filters. I will either get Rena Filstar or Eheim. But I have a few concerns about which kind of Rena Filstar or EheI'm to get. My tank will be 75 gallons (48x18x20) and planted (low-tech).

I have looked at Rena Filstar filters, and they have XP2 and XP3 that would be good for my tank. The XP2 is for up to 75 gallon tanks (pumps 300 gph). The XP3 is for up to 175 gallon tanks (pumps 350gph). I have been advised to get an XP3 for my tank. Why do I need an XP3 for a 157 gallon tank, when an XP2 is for a 75 gallon tank?

As for the Eheims, they have Ecco, Classic, and Professional 2026 and 2028 that I have looked at and considered. Ecco is for up to 80 gallon tanks and pumps 159 gph. Classic is for up to 92 gallon tanks and pumps 164 gph. Professional 2026 is for up to 92 gallon tanks and pumps 251 gph. Lastly, Professional 2028 is for up to 158 gallon tanks and pumps 227 gph.

It was suggested that EheI'm 2026 or 2028 would be best for my tank. So my question is why do I need a filter for 92 or 158 gallon tanks (2026 or 2028) when my tank will be 75 gallons? Or, why would I need 2028 over 2026?

Wouldn't filters too big as for a 75G tank create too much disturbance in the tank? The tank will also be very planted, so wouldn't such powerful filters remove the nutrients from the water which plants need?"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I want but don't have a canister but from the one's I'v seen the intake will be on one side and people will buy a spray bar and stick it on the opposite end of the tank.

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
The intake and the out take are connected so you couldn't put one at each end. The reason folks are telling you to get filters rated for larger tanks is because once you fill them with media, they won't be pumping as many gph as they claI'm on the box. I would get an XP3 if you decide on a filstar. For the $10.00 difference (or close to it), I'd get the bigger filter. I don't think you will notice a big difference on the flow from the spray bar with the bigger filter.

OP
Isabella

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thank you Gunnie. Yes, it makes a lot of sense that filters may be slower with all the filter media inside. I think XP3 would be the best. So many people say they're good filters. But just out of curiosity, which EheI'm do you think approximates the performance of XP3, or perhaps outperforms it? If I get an XP3, or an EheI'm equivalent to XP3's performance, will I need another filter in the tank to help with filtration (such as, say, an additional power filter)? Or will that XP3 be enough? Or perhaps an XP3 plus a powerhead to help with water circulation? (Sorry again for so many questions.)

OP
Isabella

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Update from PlantGeek:

I've been told to have approx. 750gph total (10 x the volume of the 75G tank per hour). But isn't the rule for canister filters to pump 5 x the tank's volume, and for power filters to pump 10 x the tank's volume? If this rule for canisters is valid, I should be OK with just one XP3 (it pumps 350 gph, which is approx. 5 x the volume of the 75G tank (less 25 gallons)). Though I've been recommended on PlantGeek to get one XP3 or EheI'm 2028 + one AquaClear 110. I could do that but I really don't want so much stuff hanging around my tank walls.

What do you think about all of this Gunnie?

Jason

Well Known
Reaction score
If you bought the ProII 2028 I think it could handle a 75 gallon easy without the need for an extra Aquaclear. I think the XP3 would also handle the job pretty easily, without the need to go bigger. My Pro II is rated for aquariums the smae size as mine at it does it no sweat, and you don't have the rinse the filter media for about 3 months, although I usually do it sooner as so I can get the max flow out of the filter at all times.

I think the new Pro III which is rated for massive tanks as two intake pipes to be set a different ends, but all the others just have one and can be placed anywhere, mines just in the back corner, with the spray bar sbove it running along the back.

Also there are many other brands out there, cheapy ones that say their output is around 265gph but really when their running they're pumping out the same amount as one running at half that. But if you go for the EheI'm or XP3 you shouldnt have this problem,these are just some observations ive made at work.

OP
Isabella

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks J-Man Sounds like you've gotten so much experience at your workplace. Good for you! I really appreciate the info

I've been recommended to get Rena Filstar XP3 or EheI'm 2028 (or 2026). But I wonder nevertheless why get XP3 that is for up to 175 gallon tanks, when an XP2 is for up to 75 gallon tanks. I mean, I WILL get the bigger filter, but won't such a filter (like the XP3 that is for 175G tanks) disturb the water too much? There is a HUGE difference between a tank that is 75 gallons and the one that is 175 gallons in size! How come the same filter is recommended for 2 such differently sized tanks? I know that the filter media slow the flow rate a lot and that's why I am being recommended with an XP3 instead of XP2. But still, isn't the difference between 75 and 175 gallons rather big?

Another issue: As I was reading Rena Filstar XP website, particularly about the setup of an XP filter, this is what it says:

"Make sure the filter will sit a minimum of 24” (61 cm) and a maximum of 55” (140 cm) BELOW the water level of the aquarium. The filter will need to sit on a level surface. Take a look at your aquarium and decide where you want to place the inlet and outlet pipes and the Filstar Canister Power Filter."

I am not clear on all of that. Does it mean I won't be able to hide my canister filter inside my tank cabinet (aquarium stand)? If I won't be able to do that, what use will my stand have except to look nice? I don't want the filter to be placed outside the stand! Can someone help me here? Gunnie? J-Man? Anybody?

Jason

Well Known
Reaction score
I think you'll be fine having it inside your cabinet, it must just have something to do with how long their intake/outake tubes are and maybe the way the water flows in/out. The filter sitting inside your cabinet will probably be within these measured levels because that is a fair distance. Otherwise it'd be pretty stupid.

kerryve

Reaction score
Unfair.. I can't even cast my vote cos we don't have any of those here, even went to my pet store to check it out... oh well

OP
Isabella

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Your local fish store doesn't even have Whisper Tetra power filters? How about any sponge filters? They have to have some filters!

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
I think your XP3 will be fine under the tank in the cabinet. That is the way I have had mine for 2 years and they work great! I also never cut the hosing from the filter to the tank, and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

New Threads