Best Fertilizer To Use In Gelatin Caps?

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought some gelatin caps to fill with fertilizer and put into my sand substrate next to some plants I plan on adding. Is there any recommended fertilizer to use in this regard? I don't know if anything special is needed. Or just make sure it is organic? Thanks!

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Osmocote+ slow release fertilizer has the best combo of ferts for substate. I bought 1000 gel caps, but I've found all those capsules are too much (not needed) for one plant. So I 'plant' just a few granules in singly around the plants instead. Now I just have a bag of 1000 gel caps for no reason lol.

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you angelcraze! Do you know if Osmocote+ can potentially be found locally at like Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart, or local nurseries, or is it something I am better off ordering online?

I too ordered 1,000 gel caps - I will have enough for 3 lifetimes I'm sure. But at $12.99 I figured what the heck!!!

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you in the US? It's not available here in Canada, so I ordered mine from the US. It was more cost effective for me to buy the premade tabs, so I just take them apart and plant individual Osmocote granules. A big container was 40$ for me to ship. Miracle Grow just wasn't the same fert numbers, so I felt the Osmocote+ ferts were worth it instead.

I can find Miracle Grow at Lowe's, Home Depot or Canadian Tire, so I assume you'd find it at various US hardware and gardening stores.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
angelcraze said:
Osmocote+ slow release fertilizer has the best combo of ferts for substate. I bought 1000 gel caps, but I've found all those capsules are too much (not needed) for one plant. So I 'plant' just a few granules in singly around the plants instead. Now I just have a bag of 1000 gel caps for no reason lol.
Can we use that pot plant fert for water plant? I think water plant require different fomular and analisis .

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Vinh said:
Can we use that pot plant fert for water plant? I think water plant require different fomular and analisis .
MD Fish Tanks on YouTube just uses MiracleGro All Purpose Plant Food, his tanks are super lush and healthy and most run without filters or fertilizer dosing.

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

CHJ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I fill mine with Osmocote.
One thing I learned is to keep the capsules that are filled or empty in a bag with desiccants so they do not glue together into a blob during the humid summer.
I just save desiccant packets that come in different things I buy so I never had to purchase them.

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That copper info up there scare me when 0.05% Osmocote compare to 0.001% Thrive C ...products.Can any experience member confirm me .Is that ok to use Osmocote?.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Vinh said:
But the garden pot fert contain lots of copper which people said is bad for the tank.Some contain 100 time compare to water plant liquid fert.What do you think? Still ok to take a chance?
Aquarium Copper Facts and Use; Cupramine, Copper-Safe, Testing
All of his tanks contain thriving populations of shrimp and snails. I imagine the garden ferts are formulated to have a very slow release. I've dug osmocote capsules out of my substrate that had been there for months without completely dissolving.

The key is to have a massive plant load from the start with a low biological load. On his channel all his tanks have sheets of duckweed on the surface, and the tanks themselves are packed with stem plants.

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Same here, I have amano shrimp for years in my
Vinh said:
Any answer for this?..
FA165/FA165: Use of Copper in Marine Aquaculture and Aquarium Systems

I want to help answer, but my head is spinning and I can't do the math. I don't think it's enough copper to hurt the fish or inverts. Even inverts need a certain amount of copper, it's included in NLS invert foods. Also depends on if it's chelated or not. The granules get buried below the substrate (available to plant roots) and dissolve/distribute ferts slowly, not all at once unless you pinch them all and cause them to explode their contents. Sorry I can't be more technical than that. Hopefully the info makes sense.

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorry for your head issue.I hope it will getting better and thank you so much for trying to answer my worrying.What you explained make sense a lot to me.I fell so much confidence to use it to insert to substrate with caution.

Letsfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I use both NilocG and Osmocote +.The NilocG dry ferts I turn them into a solution and Osmocote + I put into size O gel caps.I have these mother Amazon Swords plants that produce runners with lot of offspring.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Vinh said:
Osmocote plus is 15-9-12, it has been a great formula combo for my plants, have not observed any issues with fish or inverts using it for years. I use it in moderation, I find I don't have to use the gel caps and just plant a few individual granules per heavy feeding plant with planting tweezers. Maybe I add more more often, but it's better for me that way instead of getting a boom of growth then a big drop when nutrients are depleted all at once or a short period of time.

PS, my head is fine, no worries, I just can't figure out the amounts this morning lol! Need more coffee! But I don't think it really matters since it is not all released at once or a constant 0.05% copper in the water. Also depends on volume of water and amount of granules used. Lots of variables and factors.

Vinh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
angelcraze said:
. Also depends on if it's chelated or not.
So! It is still good if it is not chelated?
Just want to ask to know better! Please! Don't kill me ...lol
  • Total Nitrogen(N)†15%
    • 8.4% Ammoniacal Nitrogen
    • 6.6% Nitrate Nitrogen
  • Available Phosphate(P205)†9%
  • Soluble Potash(K20)†12%
  • Magnesium(Mg)†1.3%
    • 0.9% Water Soluble Magnesium (Mg)
  • Sulfer(S)†6.0%
    • 6.0% Combined Sulfer (S)
  • Boron(B)†0.02%
  • Copper(Cu)0.05%