Best feeding snails for assassin snails?

FlyingFishes

Member
So, I had a pest infection of pond snails that are almost all my plants, so I bought an assassin snail to take care of them. So far he seems to be working, but am worried what will happen when he runs out of snails to eat. What kind of snails should I get as feeders. Also, will assassin snails eat nerites? I’ve been looking at those because I think they look pretty... Anyways, back on topic. I think I proably ahve a about 20 more pond snails, and my assassin about 1/4 or 1/2 an inch. How long should I wait before introducing snails for him?
Finally, how will my assassin snail do with gravel? It’s cheap gravel from petsmart, but I read that assassin snails need sand? I could get some new substrate, but I don’t really know why to get... I also have a couple of shrimp.
Thanks!
P.S. I’ll attach a photo of the assassin snail if I can find him... (any good ideas for a name?)
 

richiep

Member
If your assissan becomes short of food they will eat nerite snails there's no question on that so it getting a constant source for him, you need to introduce snails sooner than later as the assissan won't eat them if they're to small
 

mattgirl

Member
Assassins will eat shrimp pellets and freeze dried blood worms. The trick with the bloodworms in getting them down to the assassins. We have to get creative with them. My assassins get a fresh supply of ramshorn snails at least once a month. I put in a fresh supply of various size ramshorns. It takes them longer to clean up the larger ones but eventually they catch all of them.

If you only have one assassin you don't want to overload your tank with food for him. He only kills to eat so the pests will overrun your tank if you add too many.

Assassins do bury themselves in a sand substrate but I don't think it is necessary for them.
 

DoubleDutch

Member
mattgirl said:
Assassins will eat shrimp pellets and freeze dried blood worms. The trick with the bloodworms in getting them down to the assassins. We have to get creative with them. My assassins get a fresh supply of ramshorn snails at least once a month. I put in a fresh supply of various size ramshorns. It takes them longer to clean up the larger ones but eventually they catch all of them.

If you only have one assassin you don't want to overload your tank with food for him. He only kills to eat so the pests will overrun your tank if you add too many.

Assassins do bury themselves in a sand substrate but I don't think it is necessary for them.
Correct. These were fed freeze dried bloodworms
 

Debbie1986

Member
richiep said:
If your assissan becomes short of food they will eat nerite snails there's no question on that so it getting a constant source for him, you need to introduce snails sooner than later as the assissan won't eat them if they're to small
agree, he's a predator & will kill what he can. Any snails you do not want him to dine on, move to a difference tank. I finally saw mine eating a ramshorn snail. I have around 100 such ramshorn snails so it was okay by me. I was glad to see his natural instincts kick in because I worried he was starving. I have a soft spot for the whelks, they're so oddly cute.

I think I only have 1 assassin left. I have not seen the other 2 in maybe a month. I was very overzealous a month ago vaccumming the tank. I will take them out next time to avoid loosing sight of them and possibly deep buring them by accident. It's maybe 1 inch substarite. so I hope they're okay.
 

richiep

Member
They will dissappear into the substrate for s few months at least mine do so I wouldn't worry
Debbie1986 said:
agree, he's a predator & will kill what he can. Any snails you do not want him to dine on, move to a difference tank. I finally saw mine eating a ramshorn snail. I have around 100 such ramshorn snails so it was okay by me. I was glad to see his natural instincts kick in because I worried he was starving. I have a soft spot for the whelks, they're so oddly cute.

I think I only have 1 assassin left. I have not seen the other 2 in maybe a month. I was very overzealous a month ago vaccumming the tank. I will take them out next time to avoid loosing sight of them and possibly deep buring them by accident. It's maybe 1 inch substarite. so I hope they're okay.
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view



Top Bottom