best environment to breed RCS

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by fengshui, Aug 7, 2014.

1. fengshui

fengshui Valued Member Member

Hi all, I would like to know how I can improve my 10 gallon RCS/Amano shrimp tank into a suitable environment to breed HUNDREDS of RCS. I currently have temperatures in the 80s along with an AC50, a bio sponge filter, and an Aqueon Quietflow 10. I have not covered the intake of the HOBs since they are not drastically lowering the numbers. However, if it drastically increases the rate of reproduction, I will be more than glad to take to HOBs out. The substrate is eco-complete, a large piece of mopani wood partially covered in strands of java moss. There is an anubias, a java fern, a crested java fern, duckweed, and wisteria. Will adding cholla wood assist in breeding shrimp? Or should I just let nature take its course and allow the RCS to breed. Should I buy 12 RCS or 20 RCS from invertobssession on Amazon. Any comments, questions or suggestions are welcomed.

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

From what I've heard cherry shrimp LOVE java moss. They breed like crazy in it. You should probably get some.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Good clean water, little or no flow, a sponge filter is enough filtration for a shrimp only tank, & plenty of fine leaved plants or moss are all you need for cherry shrimp as they're quite prolific breeders once they get started.
    I'd turn the heater down a few degrees as 80 is a bit high for them, mine breed well in the mid 70's

4. T

Teishokue Well Known Member Member

remove the floating plants if you have enough other plants. this would help you alot in the long run..
    cholla is nothing but another pieces of wood 'in the case of shrimps'
    remove the hob
    temperatures will vary, if you want quantity, increase heat to 78 degrees. temperature will allow you to adjust the growth rate of the shrimp. higher temps = faster growth rate. lower temps = slower growth rate but better color. the faster they grow the more adults you will have thus more sex

5. OP
    OP
    fengshui

If I remove the HOB, I'm concerned my tank will go through a mini cycle, so could I just put a net over the intake of the AC50 and take out the aqueon quiet flow 10?

6. OP
    OP
    fengshui

7. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

I would not worry about your tank recycling if you remove the HOB. You have such a low bio load, it should not be a problem. As long as you have been running the sponge filter in there for a month or so, you'll be fine.

8. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Cholla wood is beneficial with shrimp as it gives them a safe place to hide when they molt.

I would agree that your temp is a bit high and 75F is more ideal. In the 80's you are more susceptible to bacterial infections.

Java moss, or any moss or fine leaved bushy plant, is very helpful as the babies can hide in it when they molt and grow. Subwassertang is also good for this.

I sponge prefilter is a must if you are going to run a canister or HOB filter. Otherwise the impeller will kill many of the babies.

Teishokue - why do you suggest to remove the floating plants. Shrimp love all plants and especially floating ones. My cherry shrimp love hanging out closer to the surface on my frogbit and hornwort. Floating plants also help in improving the water quality as they grow a bit faster since they have the "aerial advantage" as Diana Walstad calls it, since they can use the CO2 from the air and not the water.

As for where to get them, before you buy from invertobsession, I would check out EricV as he sells them here on the forum and they are high quality and he is knowledgeable about the shrimp. He also recently has started selling yellows as well.

One other thing many breeders recommend is to use Indian Almond Leaves. They have anti-bacterial qualities and provide food and foraging for the shrimp for over a month until they slowly break down. They are great for many fish and shrimp breeding.

If you need any cholla wood, plants, or Indian Almond Leaves send me a PM as I sell all that stuff. I even have some cholla for sale with plants already attached to the top. I have a few different easy, low light, shrimp friendly plants as well.

9. OP
    OP
    fengshui

Well thanks for the offer but i ordered already but I will keep you in mind. However, what exactly are the Indian almond leaves and I have bought a sponge prefilter. Could I plant java moss in the cholla wood, like stuffing it with the moss and letting it grow through the holes? And I use a tetra heater so I can't control the heater. Which HOB should I use since both have a sponge pre filter but I have limited space behind my aquarium, the Aqueon 10 or the AC 50

10. T

Teishokue Well Known Member Member

floating plants often inhibit other plants to grow. although they have thier usefulness.

11. OP
    OP
    fengshui

Bump anybody answer my last post please?

12. OP
    OP
    fengshui

bump again

13. Coradee

Indian almond leaves release tannins & have a mild anti bacterial property, shrimp like feeding on them once they start decaying, I use oak Ieaves in my tanks & the shrimp like them just as much.
    I wouldn't stuff the moss into the wood as it does need some light, you could use cyanoacrylate (super glue) to stick some into the holes & on the wood, or you can use fishing line or cotton thread.
    I can't help you with Hob's as I don't use them, a sponge filter is sufficient for shrimp if you don't want to use a hob

14. OP
    OP
    fengshui

When the leaves start decaying do they create nitrogenous waste?

15. Coradee

Yes they will but as long as you don't have too many leaves in the tank they'll be fine.
    I leave my oak leaves until they're almost transparent & have never seen a nitrate rise because of them, but they are in a larger tank

16. Linda4088

Linda4088 Valued Member Member

Funny Dolfin just mentioned EricV whom I bought my Painted/Fire Red Cherry Shrimp from and I'm getting ready to order 10 more for my Shrimp Only tank since I put the others in my two other tanks. I just bought some almond leaves and Cholla tubes with Subwassertang attached from Dolphin, expecting them this week.

17. EmprrOfIceCream

EmprrOfIceCream Valued Member Member

For temperature, I would start new RCS in the low to mid 70s until you can determine their hardiness as their sensitivity can vary between breeders. From there you can gradually adjust the temperature based on your preferences. Generally 65-85 degrees is common, but again, you'll want to determine how hardy your stock is before making your way to the extremes (and consider other factors mentioned in this thread).

At lower temperatures your RCS will generally breed more slowly but live longer, and the opposite for higher temperatures.

For myself, I started my colony by purchasing from two different breeders to strengthen my gene pool. We had a heat wave in Vancouver and my temperature got up to the low 90s. I wouldn't wish this torture on my RCS again but they all did just fine with no losses.

As for tank setup, I have fish in my tank which is something to consider as my RCS may act differently than a tank with no fish. I would have to say that Java Moss is a must with or without fish- like a big ball of it- they love it and it is especially good for babies. Mine also like to climb the driftwood and wisteria all the way to the top and jump off. Some RCS don't appreciate current, but one of my colonies would hang onto the foam wall and lay in the current from the filter- the other colony appeared to avoid the current entirely.

I have a bottle of mineral supplement that I haven't used at all due to the fish and they don't seem to be any worse off for it, but I probably would have tried it otherwise.

If you are adding other shrimp in with them, just make sure that they can't breed or you may end up with wild looking shrimp that have less colouring.

A debated topic is how detrimental copper is to RCS. You'll want to avoid it, but RCS have copper naturally present in their blood. The reason I mention this is because many fish foods and even shrimp foods have an ingredient called copper sulphate that some swear will kill your RCS. I feed my fish and shrimp foods that do contain copper sulphate as the last ingredient and have had no ill effects. Ultimately you would want to decide this one for yourself as there is much debate and little proof one way or the other. Some will even say that small amounts of copper are beneficial to shrimp.

It won't take long before you see what your RCS enjoy. I can watch those guys for hours.
    Your environment may also affect their personalities. I have not lost a single adult to my fish (maybe not even a baby but that is hard to say with certainty) and my colony has grown to be kind of bad- , I have even seen them bat away a neon who was way too interested in their algae wafer.

Sorry for the long-winded post but I hope it helps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice