Best electric vacuum for 45 gallons (20 inches tall)

Dechi

I use a Python to do my maintenance but unfortunately it doesn’t suction much of anything except water.

What’s a good electric vacuum for a 20 inches deep 45 gallons tank ? I know Fluval makes one and I’ve seen many other on Amazon but I want to make sure I get a product that really works.

If you bought one that doesn’t work well, I’d like to know too.

Thanks !

LawSkool

I love my fluvial power vac. It does great. The downside is the replacement filters can only be bought online.

Upvote 0

Backblast72

I use a Python to do my maintenance but unfortunately it doesn’t suction much of anything except water.

What’s a good electric vacuum for a 20 inches deep 45 gallons tank ? I know Fluval makes one and I’ve seen many other on Amazon but I want to make sure I get a product that really works.

If you bought one that doesn’t work well, I’d like to know too.

Thanks !

Good Evening Dechi,
Your python does not vacuum your substrate at all? it could be the plastic o-rings found within the connections where you are losing vacuum. I have a 75 gallon dirted with a sand cap and my Phyton pick up everything with no problem. I would take a look at those o-rings they would definitely be cheaper than an electric vacuum, plus there is no risk of being electrocuted with a phyton system.

Respectfully,
BB72

Upvote 0

Dechi

Good Evening Dechi,
Your python does not vacuum your substrate at all? it could be the plastic o-rings found within the connections where you are losing vacuum. I have a 75 gallon dirted with a sand cap and my Phyton pick up everything with no problem. I would take a look at those o-rings they would definitely be cheaper than an electric vacuum, plus there is no risk of being electrocuted with a phyton system.

Respectfully,
BB72

It could be the o-rings I suppose. I’ve had this Python for 15-20 years. I have no idea where those o-rings go though, nor how to replace them. I’ll try to find a video.

I’ve received the Nicrew gravel vacuum and besides the fact that I didn’t use it properly at first and got some gravel in the impeller, it did a good job, much more powerful than a regular syphon. From the reviews I’ve read, I assume it is well made and the risk of electrocution is close to none.

Upvote 0

Backblast72

It could be the o-rings I suppose. I’ve had this Python for 15-20 years. I have no idea where those o-rings go though, nor how to replace them. I’ll try to find a video.

I’ve received the Nicrew gravel vacuum and besides the fact that I didn’t use it properly at first and got some gravel in the impeller, it did a good job, much more powerful than a regular syphon. From the reviews I’ve read, I assume it is well made and the risk of electrocution is close to none.
Good Evening Dechi,
The o-rings on the python go right at the connections on the inside part of them. If you disconnect the hoses at those points and look inside the male connectors you should be able to see the rings. They should be black rubber rings. Changing them after 15 years should make a world of a difference.

Upvote 0

Dechi

Good Evening Dechi,
The o-rings on the python go right at the connections on the inside part of them. If you disconnect the hoses at those points and look inside the male connectors you should be able to see the rings. They should be black rubber rings. Changing them after 15 years should make a world of a difference.

Thank you, I will try that. I haven’t seen them on Amazon. Do you know where I can get some ?

Upvote 0

Fisch

Thank you, I will try that. I haven’t seen them on Amazon. Do you know where I can get some ?
After all those years, maybe a hardware store has some generic ones that will work.

Upvote 0

Backblast72

Good Morning Dechi,
You can buy them on the Python website. If you do a google search you should find it.

Upvote 0

badrad

I have the Eheim Quick Vac Pro for almost 8 years now, works well in all my larger tanks (30 half moon, 45, 60, 75, 90, 120). Not so well with my shallow tanks, the water level has to be at least above the mesh screen in order to create an adequate suction.

Upvote 0

kallililly1973

We have an aqueon water changer and we have found the best way is to find an opening as all our tanks are heavily planted and stocked so we drop the water changer down avoiding everyone and everything and just get a turkey baster and make everything congregate towards your siphon and the water changer will do its work.

Upvote 0

Dechi

We have an aqueon water changer and we have found the best way is to find an opening as all our tanks are heavily planted and stocked so we drop the water changer down avoiding everyone and everything and just get a turkey baster and make everything congregate towards your siphon and the water changer will do its work.
That’s a brilliant idea ! I will definitely do this, as my tank is also heavily planted. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PaulaMPi
  • Question
Replies
Views
wishuponafish
  • Question
Replies
Views